The giving season

Sophomore Stephanie Smith donating her old phone

GVL / Emily Frye Sophomore Stephanie Smith donating her old phone

Allison Ribick

This time of year, the transition from fall to winter, is often thought of as the giving season. With Thanksgiving and the holiday season calling for food, clothing and gift donations for the less fortunate, it is only fitting for Grand Valley State University’s students to be aware of the opportunities they have to get involved with their school and home communities.

Multiple canned food drives have already happened on campus, put on by GVSU Student Life, Student Senate and the University Bookstore. For students who missed these chances, they can still donate canned goods to the student food pantry.

The pantry is located in the Women’s Center and is a resource for students to access twice a month during the times the Women’s Center is open. Organizations on campus can partner with the pantry to help replenish it.

Brittany Dernberger, assistant director of the Women’s Center, emphasized the importance of food justice and being mindful of the needs of the organization.

“Really, this is a 365 days a year issue,” Dernberger said. “A lot of food pantries and organizations get a ton of attention around the holidays because it’s our culture and we think about giving back. But it’s July when they could really benefit from a food drive because they get so many donations during the holiday season.”

Another event happening around campus is Grand Valley TV and Alpha Phi Omega’s winter clothing drive, which lasts until the end of the fall semester. Locations include the Mary Idema Pew Library, the Women’s Center, the GVTV office in Room 0055 of the Kirkhof Center and the Steelcase Library.

There are also multiple advocacy groups on campus that offer volunteer opportunities to students throughout the year, and are especially helpful as the holidays get closer and the temperature lowers.

The group Hunger and Homelessness volunteers on Saturday mornings throughout the year at Grand Rapids homeless shelters, food pantries, soup kitchens and other non-profits in the area. To volunteer, students simply have to join the Hunger and Homelessness OrgSync page and sign up for their desired date.

“Once you actually get involved, it’s really easy to stick with it because you get to know the people that are there,” said Brittany Bajo, president of Hunger and Homelessness. “You learn their story, which I think is important.”

The social stigma associated with being hungry and homeless is an issue that Bajo’s organization addresses and is working to get rid of.

“There’s such a negative connotation behind those words, and people try and put blame on the victims of it,” Bajo said. “Once you get to actually talk to these people, you realize that it’s not always their fault.”

The Community Service Learning Center (CSLC) is a resource for students, student organizations and faculty members interested in volunteering opportunities or partnering with non-profits. Students can walk in and meet with a consultant or look on their website to find non-profit organizations that fit with their schedule, interests and skills.

“We really want to both promote those one time opportunities to get students out there, but also we want them to be thinking about why it’s important to work for social justice year round,” said Melissa Baker-Boosamra, the CSLC coordinator. “(We want them to) really incorporate that into their lives and careers – doing service is one component of that.”

Baker-Boosamra emphasized the idea of creating mutual benefits for the community partners getting the volunteers and resources they need, while providing students with deeper learning opportunities.

“I think the holidays are a good time to reflect on what we’re thankful for,” Baker-Boosamra said. “A good time to think about sharing and working together with others in the name of the common good.”

The CLSC also offers Service Saturdays once a month. Students can register for the event on the CLSC website, gvsu.edu/service. On Dec. 6, students will volunteer at Comprenew, which recycles computers and electronics.

“Students will be beating and ripping up computers to their bare, minimum parts in order to be recycled,” said Caitlin Wood, a CSLC consultant. “I hear it’s a good stress reliever, especially with finals coming up.”

Individuals can also look into their local soup kitchens, homeless shelters, animal shelters and organizations such as United Way, Toys for Tots and Salvation Army.

During Thanksgiving break, Project Detroit Flood Response needs volunteers on Nov. 29 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to help Detroit citizens affected by flooding. To get involved, contact Annelie Marcilese at [email protected] or call (586) 200-7958.

Throughout winter break, there are also many events happening in the greater Grand Rapids area.

The Grand Rapids Jingle Bell Run will raise money for the Arthritis Foundation of Michigan. Volunteers are needed for set up, registration, water stations and food servers, among other tasks. The race is on Dec. 13 from 6:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Contact Cindy Pogue at [email protected] or call (248) 530-5020 for more information.

The Down Syndrome Association of West Michigan is hosting a holiday party at Frederik Meijer Gardens on Dec. 14 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Volunteers are needed to be elves for Santa Claus’ line and craft helpers. Those interested can contact Alethea Mshar at [email protected] or call (616) 956-3488.

Eastown Community Association is looking for on-call volunteers to assist senior Grand Rapids residents with the upkeep of their homes. Volunteers will help shovel snow and do minor repairs. Contact Lindsey Ruffin at [email protected] or call (616) 451-3025 for more information.

Habitat for Humanity of Kent County is searching for winter warriors to help construct houses between November and March. Contact Sarah Brandt at [email protected] or call (616) 588-5226 to sign up to volunteer.

To find more opportunities for volunteering the Grand Rapids area, look at the CSLC’s website at www.gvsu.edu/service.