The search continues

The search continues

Hannah Lentz

Three new candidates have been selected to be considered for the provost and executive vice president for academic and student affairs at Grand Valley State University. During the week of Monday, April 17, these candidates will interview on the Allendale Campus and will host a coffee reception on the Pew Campus.

These three additional candidates follow five previous candidates who interviewed on campus and did not receive offers for the position. This marks the third group of candidates that have been brought to the university to interview. 

During their speeches, each candidate will give a presentation on a topic relevant to academic and student affairs and the environment at GVSU. All members of the campus community are welcome to attend and each candidate’s presentation as well as the Q and A session will be recorded and posted on the GVSU provost search website 24 hours after each presentation.

They candidates include Nathan Klingbeil, dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science at Wright State University; Susanne Monahan, associate provost for academic effectiveness at Western Oregon University; and John Omachonu, senior vice provost for academic affairs at Kennesaw State University.

Klingbeil has been dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science at Wright State University since 2013 and was a professor of mechanical and materials engineering in 2008. He has also held the position of associate dean for Academic Affairs from 2010 to 2012 and was the director of Student Retention and Success from 2007 to 2009. He received a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Dayton and a master’s and doctoral degree in mechanical engineering from Carnegie Mellon University. Klingbeil will interview Monday, April 17,  from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Pere Marquette Room (2204) and Tuesday, April 18, coffee and conversation from 11 a.m. to noon in DeVos Center, Regency Room (102E).

Monahan filled the position of associate provost in 2016 and was a professor of sociology in 2013 at Western Oregon University. She previously served as an associate dean and chair of the department of sociology and anthropology at Montana State University. Monahan earned a bachelor’s degree in sociology/anthropology economics from Swarthmore College and a master’s and doctoral degree in sociology from Stanford University. Monahan will interview Wednesday, April 19,  from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Grand River Room and Wednesday, April 19, coffee and conversation from 11 a.m. to noon in DeVos Center, Regency Room (102E).

Omachonu was named senior vice provost in 2015. Before that, he served as vice provost for Academic Affairs and chief diversity officer for Middle Tennessee State University from 2011 to 2015, and associate dean for the College of Mass Communication from 2004 to 2009. He earned degrees from Howard University including a doctorate in mass communication, a master’s in mass communication and a bachelor’s in psychology/zoology. Omachonu will interview Thursday, April 20, from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Pere Marquette Room (2204) and Friday, April 21 from 11 a.m. to noon in DeVos Center, Regency Room (102E).

For more information, visit, http://www.gvsu.edu/gvnow/2017/provost-candidates-selected-interviews-scheduled-9918.htm