Arts Briefs

Kate Branum

Adulting Like a Boss: Part One

After marching across the stage, receiving a diploma and celebrating with family and friends comes to an end, the race is on. Grand Valley State University wants all students across campus to be fully prepared for their future.

The Enterprise Systems Student Union (ESSU) at GVSU will be holding an event Monday, Feb. 6 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the L. William Seidman Center in the Forum on the Allendale Campus.

This crash-course on “adulting” will include handy tips and advice on saving for retirement, choosing the right insurance, establishing credit, buying a house and proper budgeting, all while managing a social life.

Racial Realities of Asian Americans

Samuel D. Museus, associate professor of Higher Education and Student Affairs at Indiana University Bloomington and founding director of the Culturally Engaging Campus Environments (CECE) Project, will visit Grand Valley State University Wednesday, Feb. 8 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Grand River Room of the Kirkhof Center to deliver a compelling lecture.

In his lecture, Museus will explore that ways in which Asian Americans are racialized in U.S. society and higher education. He will also discuss how the model minority myth perpetuates problematic misconceptions of Asian Americans and how Asian Americans are engaging in activism to advocate for justice and equality.

Arrival: Short Film Screening and Discussion

The LGBT Resource Center at Grand Valley State University invites all students to participate in a film screening of Arrival, an animated short film by writer, director and animator Alex Myung Thursday, Feb. 4 at 4 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2215.

Myung will be present to discuss his film, which follows one boy’s journey into adulthood and the relationships that complicate his life. The story line draws from Myung’s own past relationships and portrays a modern LGBTQ couple who experience the highs and lows associated with loving the right person, despite the ugly backlash from others.

Whatever Happened to Idlewild?

The Office of Multicultural Affairs at Grand Valley State University will host a film screening of the documentary Whatever Happened to Idlewild? Thursday Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the Mary Idema Pew Library on the Allendale Campus.

The documentary explores the rich cultural and historical legacy of Idlewild, also known as “Black Eden”, a vacation community for African Americans located north of Grand Rapids in Lake County that thrived during the era of segregation.

The screening will be followed by a question and answer session with the director of the film, Coy Davis Jr.