Laker Life briefs 1/11/18

‘Arranged Objects: A Few Good Bones’ to be shown in Library Exhibition Space

A new exhibit is available to be viewed at Grand Valley State University. “Arranged Objects: A Few Good Bones” is a poetry-centered collection that can be seen in the Mary Idema Pew Library’s Exhibition Space.

The exhibit, which opened Tuesday, Jan. 9, and will run until Wednesday, Jan. 31, highlights the poetic works of three GVSU students who are part of the Grand Valley Writers Series. The collection of pieces will include both engraved poems on the tables and poems laid out letter by letter on the walls.

For more information, contact Library Program Manager Erin Fisher at [email protected].

AP Leadership: Module 5 to take place Friday, Jan. 12

The Grand Valley State University department of human resources will be hosting an AP Leadership workshop from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 12, in the Bike Factory’s Training Room, Room 340.

The workshop is module 5 in a series of workshops for GVSU AP staff, and will focus on conflict management. Attendees should have watched the webinars ‘What is your emotional IQ?’ and ‘Can’t we all just get along?’ and passed the corresponding quizzes before attending the upcoming training. Module 5 will focus on dealing effectively with others during an antagonistic situation and using appropriate interpersonal styles.

For more information, contact GVSU Human Resources at [email protected].

‘It’s on Us’ to host stalking awareness talk

Grand Valley State University’s branch of the “It’s on Us” organization is set to host an event from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Rooms 2215/2216, on Tuesday, Jan. 16, to inform attendees about the act of stalking in light of January being Stalking Awareness Month.

The talk will be held to inform and empower those who attend so that they will be able to identify the signs of being stalked. The event is open to all and is a LIB 100- and 201-approved event.

For more information, contact Kandace Williams at [email protected].

LGBT Resource Center semester programs to begin this week

The Grand Valley State University Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center’s semester programs are set to kick off for the winter semester this week to give GVSU students identifying with the LGBTQ community a safe space to turn to after the holiday break.

The programs take place either weekly or bi-weekly, Tuesday through Thursday, all semester long, and there are general programs for freshmen and upperclassmen, as well as specific groups dedicated to people identifying as asexual/aromantic, transgender or gender non-binary, which are open to students regardless of class status.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/lgbtrc.