GVSU’s Voss nominated for volunteer award

GVL / Hannah Mico. Sophomore Alton Voss takes down Saginaws senior wide receiver Jeff Janis.

GVL / Hannah Mico. Sophomore Alton Voss takes down Saginaw’s senior wide receiver Jeff Janis.

Adam Knorr

It was never supposed to be this way for Alton Voss.

Voss, a 26-year-old who grew up in Florida, plays football for Grand Valley State. But to just call Voss a football player would be to rob him of so many titles – inspirational speaker, recovering drug addict, family friend, Hollywood storybook character.

Voss’ whirlwind tale was chronicled in the Lanthorn in June 2014. In July 2015, Voss was announced as a nominee for the 2015 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team – one of the top off-field awards for college football athletes that recognizes players “from across the country who exemplify a superior commitment to community service and volunteerism.”

A record 197 athletes were nominated this year. 11 winners from the NCAA Football Bowl subdivision will be selected, along with an additional 11 from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision, Divisions II, III and NAIA.

Voss earned his nomination due to his speaking engagements throughout Michigan where he shares his story about turning his life around from a serious drug addiction.

Voss’ first contact with drugs came when he was 12 years old. As his freshman year in college approached, the University of South Florida commit starting using heavy drugs often.

His drug addiction rapidly worsened, and Voss was doing up to 30 prescription pills a day at his worst – drugs including Roxicodone, Oxycodone and Soma muscle relaxers.

After a sudden trip to Michigan to visit a friend, Voss stole a Pontiac Grand AM and was caught and arrested by Holland police officer Joe Slenk.

The rest is history.

Today, Slenk and defense attorney Jane Patterson are two of Voss’ best friends. The 6-foot-3, 240 pound defensive end regularly spends time with the two families, even joining the Patterson family for Christmas and family vacations.

Voss’ turnaround has led him to share his story to audiences for the last two years. He did his first speaking event in Standale in 2013, and since then has spoken to students, parents and relatives at Holland High School, Hudsonville High School, Spring Lake High School, West Ottawa High School and more.

“What stands out to me the most is after I do a speaking event, when I have someone who’s a teenager step out of their comfort zone and open up to me as much as asking for advice,” Voss said. “Maybe they take a few words out of a 35-minute speech… but that’s the biggest thing that stands out to me. When someone that young is trying to fix their problems.”

Voss’ message is always the same. He shares his testimony, talks about decisions, second chances and leaving a legacy.

His impact on hundreds of students stands out, but the impact Slenk and Patterson have had on Voss is just as notable.

Slenk describes his ties with Voss as “a brother relationship.”

“Alton is a part of my family,” Slenk said. “I have three daughters and they love him. He comes to the house regularly. I think he would be the best candidate for the (AFCA award) just because of the perseverance of his story. The kid has been through an enormous amount and to be able to see the way he has taken his situation and the way he’s tried to help others with his story is incredible.

“It’s really important for young people to see someone like Alton who struggled with any issues that young people can go through and see that this kid found a way to get out.”

The story takes another twist at Voss’ relationship with Patterson.

Patterson, a former prosecutor who does criminal defense work on a part-time basis, was assigned to take Voss as her client due to another prosecutor undergoing surgery.

With the help of Patterson, Voss’ felony charge was reduced to a misdemeanor.

With the help of Patterson, Voss got clean.

Patterson recommended Voss go to CMI Abasto – a rehab clinic in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Without delay, Voss accepted, spending two years in South America, where Patterson would visit him every six months.

“He considers me his Michigan mom,” Patterson said. “We consider him family.”

Both Patterson and Slenk state that their experience with Voss has been an anomaly in the scope of their careers.

“I’ve had situations like this, but not nearly to this extent,” Slenk said. “There’s never been anything like this in my law enforcement career. I’ve been a cop for 15 years and it’s definitely the most rewarding thing I’ve ever encountered in my job.”

Appreciative of the second chance and understanding of the tale he holds, Voss has turned his unusual past into a rewarding experience for him and those he speaks to.

When the opportunity to share his story first presented itself to Voss, he was unsure. But soon, the hesitancy turned to understanding.

“It’s the least I can do for all the people in my life that have helped me,” he said.

The winners for the 2015 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team will be announced in September. Former winners of the award include Peyton and Eli Manning, Robert Griffin III and Colt McCoy.

For Patterson, Voss is the obvious choice.

“This is a kid prior to this experience who didn’t even know what the word ‘volunteer’ was,” Patterson said. “By basically putting it all out there – warts and all – he has touched many, many young people in that they know it’s ok to have troubles as long as they understand you always have a second chance.

“The important thing is that getting in trouble – being in trouble – doesn’t have to be a life sentence if you don’t want it to be. It’s kind of his story, too There’s no reason he should be where he is and do what he’s done.

“People say, ‘You saved his life.’ No. We gave him an opportunity and he took it. I chose him and he chose me.”