Reflections on my first year at GV

Reflections on my first year at GV

Emily Doran

It’s hard to believe that my first year at Grand Valley is already drawing to a close. After only a few more weeks of classes and a week of exams, I will be packing up my belongings, handing over my apartment keys and driving two hours east to spend the summer at home.

As I reflect back on my first year at Grand Valley, I am overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude toward those who made my freshman experience so positive. While I cannot express enough how thankful I am for the guidance and instruction I received from my professors and various mentors, I would like to mention specifically how my fellow students have provided an exceptionally welcoming environment.

On the whole, Grand Valley’s students must be some of the friendliest and most polite people I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. I first noticed this when I was a junior in high school and came to Allendale to take a tour.

After finishing officially exploring the campus, I still wanted to look at one of the living centers more thoroughly. A friend of my tour guide – whose name I regrettably forget – offered to show my dad and me around the building. She gave us a very thorough tour and introduced us to other students along the way. I didn’t realize at the time that her willingness to go above and beyond to provide a positive impact on our visit was actually indicative of the general attitude held by most Grand Valley students.

When I arrived at Grand Valley this past August as a newly-inducted Laker, I quickly came to appreciate the sociability and politeness of my fellow students. For example, I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that everybody here holds doors open for everybody else, without exception. Maybe I shouldn’t find this so surprising, but I do, and I always appreciate it when I see someone going out of his/her way to hold the door for someone else.

Also, on numerous occasions, when I was still unfamiliar with the layout of the campus and various buildings, I had to stop passersby to ask for directions, and everyone with whom I spoke was more than willing to direct me and make sure I arrived at my destination.

In the end, while I chose to come to Grand Valley for a variety of reasons, I’ve discovered that one of the unexpected perks of being a Laker is being surrounded by sociable and polite people. I can’t help but be thankful when I think of how impactful my fellow students have been in creating a positive learning environment for me, especially when I witness the next wave of potential Lakers flooding campus with their white plastic bags filled with promotional Grand Valley pens, notebooks and other university memorabilia.

It’s humbling to think about the powerful difference that we can make in these students’ college-hunting experiences, just by going a little out of our way to welcome them to campus and make them feel at home. I know that I was left with a very positive impression of Grand Valley when its students did the same for me, and so now I am determined to pass on that signature Laker spirit as we prepare to welcome the next wave of Grand Valley students.