Summer construction underway at GVSU

Grand Valley State University continues a number of construction projects around the Allendale campus for the summer of 2016.

Emily Frye

GVL / Emily Frye Grand Valley State University continues a number of construction projects around the Allendale campus for the summer of 2016.

Sanda Vazgec

When students return to Grand Valley State University in the fall, they will see several changes to the Allendale Campus and surrounding areas due to the construction of many expansion projects. As for students staying on campus this summer, the construction may lead to some facility and road closures.

The largest development in progress is the construction of Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center, a new student housing and academic building on the north side of campus. The building will take the place of Robinson Field on the east side of Mackinac Hall. The building will accommodate 498 students in traditional style bedrooms, with community bathrooms serving the adjacent rooms.

The building will also include three standard classrooms, one computer lab, a media room and faculty offices. Students will have access to a front desk inside of the building that will handle any needs such as room lockouts, keys and general questions. This desk will take over the duties of the former North C desk, which will no longer be in operation. The Office of Housing and Residence Life will move from the Student Services building into Holton-Hooker as well.

The main lobby area of the building will include Einstein’s Bagel Co. and a multipurpose room. A game room, outdoor recreational space, lounge and study spaces are also available, along with air-conditioning throughout the entire building.

Due to the construction, the walkway between Robinson Living Center and Mackinac Hall is closed.

“Though construction can be a nuisance and inconvenience, the result of it will be very beneficial,” said Dena Willis, occupancy manager of Housing and Residence Life. “All of the expansion projects are done with the students’ needs in mind, the goal is to provide the best experience possible for the campus community.”

Nearby, the campus dining location of Fresh Food Co. will undergo a building expansion and repairs to the east entry. The building will be closed during the summer.

Across the street from Mackinac Hall, the Recreation Center will undergo the construction of an additional two-story structure on the southwest side of the existing building. This addition will consist of three new indoor courts, lockers and restrooms, as well as staff offices. The neighboring Fieldhouse Arena will undergo a roof replacement during this time as well.

The Recreation Center is open during construction, but the hours of operation are limited during the summer months.

A major issue students had this past academic year was the parking situation, causing increased frustration among the campus community.

“Two factors contribute to this growth in demand,” said James Moyer, associate vice president for facilities planning. “The first in the increase in the student and employee population, (but) the bigger factor is the increase in the number of individuals who choose to drive to the campuses.”

The university will be tearing down the Ravines Apartments in order to expand Parking Lot B, adding over 300 parking spaces. Near campus, the expansion of 48th Avenue will make the road unavailable for driving for several weeks. In order to access the Allendale Campus, students must use the main entrance on Campus Drive. All expansion projects are scheduled for completion by late August in order to ensure students will have full access to all facilities in time for the new school year.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/facilitiesplanning.