Partnership promotes new online program

Courtesy Photo / GVSU News & Information

Amanda Pitts

Kara Haight

A new online program between Grand Valley State University and Michigan State University will give students the opportunity to train in the field of clinical research. The agreement for the online certificate program was signed by President Thomas J. Haas on Monday at GVSU’s Center for Health Sciences in Grand Rapids, and will focus on giving students the basic skills needed to work in the clinical research field professionally.

The program is new to both GVSU and MSU, and the two schools decided to partner because neither university offered a similar course. “It was a good project to entertain, and we are able to utilize both [universities],” said Martina Reinhold of the physician assistant studies department at GVSU. The program officially began in August of this year, and GVSU students are currently enrolled. Students in the course will need to take a total of four online classes, two offered by GVSU and two from MSU.

Two courses can be taken in a semester so the program can be completed in one year. A bachelor’s degree is needed to apply to the program, which is mostly geared toward a health and business inclined field, Reinhold said. She added that there are no specific majors required for admission.
“Any [major] can really apply,” Reinhold said. “They just have to explain why they really want it. We want them to really think about it before.”

The program will be online based, but will be slightly different depending on the course. Like most online courses it is mostly individual based work, but professors will be making use of discussion boards to encourage group work. If students are interested in more hands on work, an elective course can be added to the program. “There is a practicum offered through Grand Valley,” Reinhold said, adding that the course will be based in active participation with visits and work at clinical sites.

More information about the program can be found at http://www.gvsu.edu/crtm/.