Celebrating diversity

Celia Harmelink

Grand Valley State University students from different backgrounds and origins came together to celebrate Sexy Accent Night hosted by the International Students Organization (ISO) Tuesday, March 21, in the Kirkhof Center Grand River Room.

International and domestic students gathered for this annual event to celebrate the theme of breaking stereotypes, as shown throughout the evening’s various performances.

DJ Adrian Butler set the mood with a variety of upbeat songs that played during the evening, while the event’s hosts caught the attention of the audience through humor. Interviews of international students throughout the night offered glimpses into different cultures from countries such as Malaysia, Poland and Saudi Arabia.

International students showed off their talents with diverse performances throughout the night. Olivia Brown, a GVSU student who worked in the International House and co-hosted the event, said her favorite part of the night was watching the African Student Council perform.

“I always love when the African dance group dances,” she said. “It’s one of my favorite things. It’s always so cool to see so many cultures coexist in one area.”

Brown went on to say if she could describe the night in one word, she would use the word hopeful.

“I think with everything in the world and how crazy it is, especially because stereotypes were the theme, everything going on really makes some people standoffish to other cultures where I feel like it shows you that it could be this easy,” she said. “It doesn’t have to be complicated to just learn about other people.”

The night kicked off with an energetic performance by Nicole Kariotis, who demonstrated her belly dancing talent for the audience. She choreographed the dance herself and had a great time performing it.

“I improvise a little bit depending on the stage,” she said. “I wasn’t exactly sure how it would be, so it’s fun. When I feel like I want to do something different, I can because it’s just me, so it was a great time.”

Kariotis has been involved with international students since her sophomore year and volunteers at the International Students Organization every fall.

“I wanted to get more involved and learn about their cultures, and I tried to make friends with new people each year and get immersed in where they’re from and what they’re about,” she said.

Eno Saliu, an international student born in Albania but currently living in London, performed an original spoken-word poem with his fellow international friend Temi Adelakun. Despite his confident and calm appearance during his performance, Saliu admitted he couldn’t escape his nerves performing in front of an audience.

“Nervous doesn’t quite encompass what I was feeling at that time,” Saliu said. “No, honestly, I was really nervous because I don’t really perform at all, ever, and it was really nerve-wracking, but it was something I wanted to do.”

Sexy Accent Night celebrated people from different countries and cultures around the world currently attending GVSU. The night ended with an open dance that brought together international and domestic students alike as they danced in one large mass.

Saliu said the best parts of being an international student are the stories he’s able to tell his friends back home in London, like the ones from this event.

“You wouldn’t believe the things I’ve been through,” he said. “It’s a movie times ten. It’s amazing. It’s not like real life. That’s what’s the best about it.”