The LakerJobs guide to summer employment

Drew Howard

For students still looking to earn some extra cash and experience during the summer semester, internship and job opportunities located right on Grand Valley State University’s campus can be found online through the help of the LakerJobs website.

With an average of more than 200 jobs being added every week, LakerJobs directly targets GVSU students and has opportunities for students in all fields.

Lisa Knapp, assistant director at the GVSU Career Center, said LakerJobs added 83 new employers and 517 new jobs during the week of March 23.

In terms of jobs located on campus during the summer, Knapp added that there are opportunities for students to get just about every kind of experience.

Below is a list of some job and internship opportunities on campus that are posted on the LakerJobs website.

Summer tutor

GVSU is looking for people willing to tutor high school students for an academic summer camp that is located on the Allendale Campus. The job runs from June 8 to July 14 with a full day of orientation training on June 1. Workers will be compensated $8.15 per hour.

Positions include both tutors and tutor/counselors. Tutors will work with students hands-on from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. while a tutor/counselor will work in overnight positions from 2 p.m. to 8 a.m. for a stipend pay.

The academic camp is looking for students who are knowledgeable in certain fields such as science, math, reading and writing – preferring a junior standing or higher, but is not exclusive.

For more information, call the TRiO Upward Bound office at (616) 331-3144.

Public relations event coordination

Interns under the supervision of GVSU professor Frank Boring will work with the GVSU Veterans History Project on the All-American Women’s Baseball documentary “A Team of Their Own.” Additionally, interns will be required to help with event planning and contacting local media, cinemas and other places.

The position is unpaid at 20 hours a week and goes from the spring of 2015 to the fall of 2015.

Paige Anderson, a public relations intern with the Veterans History Project, said the internship will provide great experience for students.

“The Veterans History Project has given numerous students the opportunity to gain real-world experience,” Anderson said. “They have also extended job offers to exceptional interns post-graduation.”

Resumes and cover letter can be sent to Paige Anderson at [email protected].

Graphic designer

Applications are being accepted for a graphic designer position for Alumni Relations related events. In the position, students will prepare artwork, design brochures and publications for events, regularly upload files as well as attend certain Alumni Relations events if needed.

Students applying should have graphic design experience and be familiar with Adobe Creative Suites as well as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.

The position offers 10 to 15 hours per week and pays $9.35 per hour. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Abigayle Sloan at [email protected].

Communications writer

University Development is looking for a student to work 15-25 hours per week as a communications writer for the GVSU Development Office.

In the position, the student will work with the GVSU communications team and act as a writer, web content editor as well as a project manager. Assignments and duties will vary depending on what is needed to be done by the full time staff.

A strong candidate should have a background in English, advertising or public relations and be able to work downtown at the L.V. Eberhard Center. Salary is determined based off experience.

To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Mary Ouellette at [email protected]

Geographic Information Systems assistant

For $10 per hour, the Geographic Information Systems assistant will work with the Community Research Institute at the Johnson Center for Philanthropy in areas such as data documentation, address matching, data quality as well as both short-term and long-term research projects.

A student candidate is expected to have an overall GPA of at least 3.25 and have completed either GPY307, NRM395, PA644 or another class equal to these. Candidates should be able to work at least two academic semesters and have a major or background in geography, urban planning or social sciences.

The position allows for 20 hours per week and is located at the GVSU Pew Campus.

To apply, send a letter, resume and two professional or academic references to Jeremy Pyne at [email protected]

For a more complete list of jobs and internships on the GVSU campus this summer, visit www.gvsu.edu/careers/lakerjobs.