Civic engagement week ends with Rock the Vote concert

GVL/Kevin Sielaff - Election coordinator Steven Daitch helps with the registration process during Rock the Vote. Student Senate hosts Rock the Vote as part of Student Civic Assembly week Friday, Sept. 30, 2016 inside the Fieldhouse Arena.

GVL/Kevin Sielaff – Election coordinator Steven Daitch helps with the registration process during Rock the Vote. Student Senate hosts Rock the Vote as part of Student Civic Assembly week Friday, Sept. 30, 2016 inside the Fieldhouse Arena.

Meghan McBrady

As part of student civic engagement week at Grand Valley State University, the Rock the Vote concert ended a week-long effort to register students to vote in the upcoming presidential election.

The concert, held at Fieldhouse Arena Friday, Sept. 30, was part of a collaboration between the Rock the Vote nonprofit, nonpartisan organization and GVSU to promote voter education across the Allendale and Pew campuses.

“This something new here at Grand Valley,” said Jeana Gondek, a senior at GVSU. “It’s very big that we express our right to vote and make sure we put our opinions in for the future.”

Since 1990, Rock the Vote has used popular culture, music and technology to inspire political activity within millennials. By helping to register millions of new voters, the organization simplifies and humanizes the overall election process.

GVSU President Thomas Haas, who led the opening address at the concert, spoke to the audience about why it is important for students to vote in this upcoming presidential election. He said no matter a student’s political views, they have the fundamental right to change the course of the country.

“When you think about your generation, the millennials, you understand service, you understand responsibilities, you have a say in what this world is going to look like,” he said.

With representatives from GVSU’s Community Service Learning Center (CSLC), student senate and other organizations serving pizza and hot dogs to the GVSU community, students listened to the musical acts of Lady Ace Boogie and Love Handle.

Twenty five individuals were registered to vote at the concert, said Melissa Baker-Boosamra.

Baker-Boosamra, the associate director of student life, with an emphasis on civic engagement and assessment, said Michigan residents need to be registered by Tuesday, Oct. 11 if they want to vote on Nov. 8.

“We not only want to get students registered, but we want them to go to the polls as well,” she said.

Baker-Boosamra noted the potential power of the 18-to-24-year-old demographic has as a voting block this election.

She also said students should be committed to learning more about national and local elections, in order to understand the policies and laws endorsed by political leaders.

“This is a very high-stakes national election, this is a really polarized time, so really paying attention to the issues is significant,” Baker-Boosamra said. “Even if you don’t agree to an approach, those you don’t agree with, treat with civility.”

With the GVSU community listening to the music, the educational process behind the Rock the Vote concert showed students what it means to be a voter in the U.S.

“You guys can shape our society individually because everyone does count,” Haas said. “Tell others to establish themselves with a voice that can change our world.”

Voting registration locations at GVSU include:

Monday, Oct. 3: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Kirkhof Center lobby

Tuesday, Oct. 4: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., DeVos Center C

Wednesday, Oct. 5: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., Kleiner Commons

The next presidential debate watch party will be from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Holton-Hooker Living Center, Sunday Oct. 9.

For more information about registering to vote, visit www.gvsu.edu/service/sca