Arts Briefs

Kate Branum

Nihilism and the Self

Grand Valley State University affiliate professor of philosophy Jeffrey Byrnes continues the ongoing lecture series “Back to Basics: The Liberal Arts and Sciences as Common Ground for Meaningful Engagement” Tuesday, March 28 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Grand Rapids Press Auditorium in the Eberhard Center on the Pew Campus.

Back to Basics features several lectures given by GVSU faculty members in the liberal arts and sciences on current events and cultural issues. All talks are followed with a group discuss to answer any lingering questions attendees may have.

Bike Maintenance 101: The Tune-Up
With spring right around the corner, cycling enthusiasts are bringing their bikes out of storage. The bike shop staff at Grand Valley State University will be facilitating a crash course on necessary bike maintenance Wednesday, March 29 from 5:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. in the Laker Village South Community Center on the Allendale Campus.
Riders will learn how to increase the lifespan of their bikes, accumulate tips on how to keep their bikes safe and reliable and learn basic tune-up techniques on cleaning, adjusting and lubricating bikes.
A bike is not required to attend this free workshop.

Digital Studies major seeking contestant entries 

Before launching the new Design Studies major at Grand Valley State University, the university is encouraging students to enter into a poster design contest .

The new major will look at exploration and analysis of the ways that data and modern technologies are uses and how they can be applied in a creative way. The posters submitted must include the website (www.gvsu.edu/ds), must be an original design and must be compatible with an 11X17 page. 

The major will be available to students fall 2017 and will be within the Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies. 

Visit, www.gvsu.edu/ds/ for more information and complete competition guidelines.