GV lacrosse looks to build off of inaugural season

GVL / Archive
Sophomore Ali Dixon (11) fighting to move the ball up the field.

GVL Archives

GVL / Archive Sophomore Ali Dixon (11) fighting to move the ball up the field.

Adam Knorr

Coming off a 10-7 record in their inaugural season, the GVSU lacrosse team hopes to have a strong showing in the GLIAC this year.

The general consensus is that they will.

GVSU received seven first-place votes in the 2013 Preseason Coaches’ Poll, which put the Lakers atop the poll in the opening season of GLIAC lacrosse.
While the top ranking will likely instill confidence in the Lakers, it is also bound to make other teams work that much harder to beat them.

“It definitely puts a target on our back,” said sophomore midfielder Rachel Leibovitz. “It gives us something to strive for, but it also gives other teams a reason to give it their all against us.”

GVSU, despite being only a second-year team, seems to be well suited for such a challenge, as the Lakers return 15 members from last year’s crew. Most notably from those 15 are Leibovitz and fellow sophomore Victoria Devine, who scored team-highs of 38 and 37 goals respectively in last year’s season.

Leibovitz and Devine are off to roaring starts yet again this year, combining for a total of nine goals and 14 points through just three games.

On the back end, the Lakers are anchored by sophomores Alyssa Neumen and Ashley Stoltenberg, both of whom were named to the Division II All-Independent second team as freshmen last season.

Behind Neumen and Stoltenberg is yet another returning starter, sophomore netminder Audrey Kobe. Kobe has a strong background of experience in the cage already, as she started all 17 games in net for GVSU last season. Her streak is now up to 20 consecutive starts, as she started all three games over spring break.

Kobe’s experience, along with the other 14 returners, is invaluable in a conference where seven of the nine teams have less than three seasons under their belts.

“Last season was extremely valuable,” said head coach Alicia Groveston, “There was nothing bad about it. Any experience at the collegiate level is great. The lessons you learn are invaluable. You learn not to take any opponents for granted.”

Despite the high expectations, Laker Lax has had a mediocre start to the season, going 1-2 in last week’s East Coast trip. The record wasn’t all that mattered, however, said sophomore captain Sarah Lowe.

“Spring Break taught us how to pick it up when we’re down,” Lowe said. “We didn’t come together in our first game and lost in overtime by one. The week showed us who is going to be there to pull through when you need it.”

The Lakers are going to need their whole team to pull through if they want to achieve their goals for the season, which includes winning the GLIAC championship and going undefeated at home.

GVSU will look to start their home dominance on Tuesday at 7 p.m. against Indiana Tech University.