How to destress for finals week

Emily Doran

It’s hard to believe that finals are already here, and as Grand Valley students wrap up the semester by wading through piles of homework and studying for exams, they are also undoubtedly dealing with increased stress. Considering that final exams are often cumulative and that they account for a large percentage of overall grades, it’s no wonder that students feel especially stressed this time of year.

I am certainly not feeling immune to the pressure which inevitably accompanies finals. Still, as I finish the semester, I am trying to manage my stress because I know that doing so will ultimately help me as I prepare for my exams. I have found that what you do when you are not studying can greatly impact your stress level. With that in mind, here are some of my favorite ways to deal with stress.

First and foremost, I think it’s important to incorporate breaks into your study sessions. Taking a break can give your brain a much-needed rest and help you return to your homework with a fresh perspective. You can stretch out, go for a walk, eat a snack, or simply do something you find relaxing before resuming your studying.

One of my favorite ways to spend my study breaks is listening to music. It’s amazing how the right song can drastically impact your mood. When you take a study break, try blasting your favorite upbeat music. It can instantly put you in a better mindset. (As an added bonus, now that Thanksgiving is over, it’s officially socially acceptable to listen to Christmas music!)

One of the most effective methods I use to cope with stress is working out. When I start to feel overwhelmed by all the work I have to accomplish, I pop in an exercise DVD or head to the gym. Putting your homework temporarily on hold and spending some time completely focused on physical activity can do wonders for resetting your outlook and refreshing your brain. After a tough workout, you will be ready to come back and tackle your homework with renewed energy.

Finally, and this one is probably the hardest one to implement, I try to get enough (or almost enough) sleep. Sleep always seems to be one of the first things students drop when finals week approaches. Here is the problem, though: getting too little sleep can negatively impact your performance on exams. Sleep helps solidify your memory so that when you take tests, you can recall what you have learned. So, while studying is of course important, sleep is also vital.

In the end, it’s almost inevitable that you will deal with stress during finals week. Still, there are plenty of ways to deal with it and make the most of the last days of the semester. Try taking study breaks, listening to music, working out and getting enough sleep. With these strategies, you will be able to defend against stress and make a strong finish. Good luck!