Mythbusters: free tuition if hit by a bus

GVL / Nickolas Peters
Rapid running in a snowstorm

GVL / Nickolas Peters Rapid running in a snowstorm

Hannah Lentz

Tuition prices are no joking matter in the eyes of college students today. According to its ninth annual report on student loan debt, The Institute for College Access and Success found nearly seven in 10 graduating seniors in 2013 – 69 percent – left school with an average of $28,400 in student loan debt, an increase of two percent from 2012.

With the average debt increasing at an alarming rate, rumors often float around campus regarding different ways students can be awarded free tuition. One of these rumors is the idea that if a student is hit by a university bus, they receive free tuition.

Michelle Rhodes, director of Financial Aid at Grand Valley State University, said this is often not the case.

“Free tuition is not automatically granted in these situations,” Rhodes said. “However, there are options for students who need assistance in unexpected situations. They should always contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss their situation to see if additional funding might be available.”

Though automatic tuition compensation is not immediately awarded, there is also a tuition refund appeal that is a possibility for students who have unexpected situations occur when they are enrolled. This appeal process goes through the Registrar’s Office. During this application process, students must list the extenuating circumstances they are facing with any additional details they may have to support their case, whether it is a doctor’s note, letter from a dean or any other materials necessary.

“Student applications for refund of tuition are reviewed weekly by the Tuition Refund Appeals Committee,” said Laura Przybytek, associate registrar in the Registrar’s Office. “The applicant is notified in writing following the meeting. Approved refunds will follow the normal refund process returning federal and institutional funds as dictated by policy. Questions regarding the actual amount of the refund can be answered by the Student Accounts office.”

This rumor is not confined to just student to student communication. Looking online, there are many popular humor-based college Twitter and Instagram accounts dedicated to the idea of getting free tuition when hit by a bus.

With statements joking about how college students do not worry about getting hit by a bus because of the promise of free tuition, this is a college myth that many believe. However, looking at the process for “free tuition,” it may not be as simple as initially thought.

Another aspect of this myth is that if a roommate of a student passes away while enrolled at the university, the student will also receive free tuition. Again, this is a rumor that has been developed over the years at GVSU.

Though the university is focused on the mental health and assistance through hard times, such as the passing of a roommate, the tuition appeal process will remain the same as a student who has been injured by a bus or experienced another sort of unexpected, traumatic event. Students will be given the option for on-campus counseling and any other resources through the university that can be utilized to help students through these kinds of difficult situations.

Though the rumor of free tuition may still be going strong through word-of-mouth campus circulation, the myth is simply that, so students should continue to glance up from their cup of coffee or smartphone and make sure to look both ways before crossing the street.