GV professors spread holiday cheer through performance

Archived courtesy / Matt Jefferson
Maniacal 4 Trombone Quartet from left: Alex Dubrov, Nick Laufer, Matt Jefferson, and Carl Lundgren. The group performed at GVSU as part of the Arts at Noon series in January, 2014.

Archived courtesy / Matt Jefferson Maniacal 4 Trombone Quartet from left: Alex Dubrov, Nick Laufer, Matt Jefferson, and Carl Lundgren. The group performed at GVSU as part of the Arts at Noon series in January, 2014.

Shelby Pendowski

Grand Valley State University highlights a new artist on a weekly basis through the Arts at Noon series. Performances have included students, local performers and faculty members.

On Dec. 3 the GVSU Brass Quintet, which is compiled of five GVSU faculty members, will perform in “Holiday Music for the Brass Quintet” in the Cook-Dewitt Center Auditorium at noon. Admission is free.

“The faculty brass quintet performing a holiday concert as part of the Arts at Noon series has been a tradition for the concert series for a number of years now,” said GVSU music professor, Paul Carlson. “At a time of year when music is such an integral part of our celebrations, it is a great way for us to share seasonal music with the campus community.”

Carlson, who will be playing the tuba, will be accompanied by Richard Stoelzel on trumpet, Jeffery Lewandowski on trumpet, Richard Britsch on the horn and Mark Williams on the trombone. All of the professors in the quintet also instruct in the music department.

“The faculty brass quintet has been in existence in the music department for a long time, but the personnel has changed over the years as the faculty has changed,” Carlson said. “We recently had a new member join us over the summer, and we had our first performance with this lineup this past June.”

Similar to a typical ensemble, the preparation for a performance begins with each of the members learning individually before they all come together to practice. The professors take the same steps they teach the student ensembles in preparing for their shows.

“It is very educational for our music majors to see their professors perform and have a model for performance,” Carlson said. “Seeing professors perform is a great insight into what is expected at a professional level. It is great for the entire GVSU community to be aware of the great arts that surround us and the artists that are teaching and working around us right here every day.”

Not only can it be insightful for students and community members to attend showcases such as these that highlight professors, but these events also provide a means of exposure to new genres of music.

“It is great for students to hear live music as it is an important part of our culture. Many students may not be exposed to a brass quintet regularly,” Carlson said.

Those in attendance will hear holiday classics such as “O Come, All Ye Faithful,” “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing,” “The Dreidle Song” and arrangements from Tchaikovsky’s “The Nutcracker Suite.”

“This concert will be a great opportunity for them to not only hear some great Christmas, Hanukkah and holiday music, but to hear it from brass instruments,” Carlson said. “We’ll also include a sing-a-long of holiday favorites. This is a great tradition of everyone singing and making music together.”

As it is the last few days of classes before exam week, Carslon said the concert is a great opportunity for students to take a study break or a time for anyone to just enjoy the holiday spirit.

“This concert will not only be a fun concert, but is an excellent way to get in a great mood for the holidays,” Carlson said. “This can be a busy and tough time of year for students as the semester wraps up and finals are approaching, but this concert can be a great reminder that once finals are done, we will all have the holidays to celebrate.”