Involving students with sustainability

Danielle Zukowski

Walking around campus makes me wonder how much unnecessary waste occurs at locations lacking clear recycling and compost bins such as class buildings. I often find compost and recycling in dining and social areas, but not in academic locations. Yet, I see so many students chugging sodas and crunching junk. What happens when they finish?

I find it unlikely that most students would go seeking a sustainable depositing source if not nearby. Despite the fact that many of the items we use are recyclable or compostable on campus, I suspect that these items do not always find their way to the appropriate bin. And why is this? Because I have witnessed it many times.

In order for our recyclable and compostable options to be effective they must go to the intended location. First, however, students must be aware of the options. Students may be surprised by what is recyclable. Of course, paper, plastic, glass, and cans are recyclable but did you know the specifics? Cardboard, plastics 1-7, clear, brown, and green glass, and all types of metal. How about ink cartridges, cell phones, and batteries? The facilities services page lists a lot of these items in detail, however, their locations are not as descriptive.

How many students are going to play hide and seek in order to be green? Not many. There is a serious lack of education for students on campus. Despite, the university’s success with sustainability as a whole, there is a huge disconnect between the school’s environmental consciousness and the students. Awareness efforts for individual sustainability are very weak for such a green school.

With the issues of accessibility and ignorance combined, I assume that a lot of unnecessary waste is occurring on campus. A lot of waste that could easily be reduced with resolutions to both issues. I believe that a student will be much more sustainable if more opportunities are provided to do so. If after a class snack, the hallway had a compost bin in addition to landfill, perhaps students would be more likely to more sustainably dispose of the item.

Another issue is our lack of knowledge regarding what happens after disposing. Again, although, the office of sustainability has been recognized for tremendous improvement, the students are left out. This is of significant concern to me. I want to know how things are composted and recycled. Is it within GVSU or an outside company?

Waste sorting is another question of mine and likely other students on campus. When waste is incorrectly disposed, is there organization that occurs in the future to remedy this? This would be so much work on the committee or group’s part. If this is a process that occurs, accessibility and awareness could both contribute to saved time due to correct placement.

Through further involvement of students in improving sustainability, our campus will make greater strides. We are a 25,000 student body. We can make a difference. With the limited student inclusion, we are disadvantaged as a community. Grand Valley should be more concerned with producing environmentally conscious graduates to truly fulfill our seventh value of sustainability.