A night in the life of GVPD

GVL / Luke Holmes - Sergeant Stoll puts on his lights and rushes to a medical emergency call. The ride along with Sergeant Jeff Stoll took place on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016.

Luke Holmes

GVL / Luke Holmes – Sergeant Stoll puts on his lights and rushes to a medical emergency call. The ride along with Sergeant Jeff Stoll took place on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016.

Emily Doran

For the Grand Valley Lanthorn’s third annual ride-along with the Grand Valley State University Police Department, news reporter Emily Doran and photographer Luke Holmes had the opportunity to accompany Sgt. Jeff Stoll Saturday, Oct. 29 for his night-shift patrol. Throughout the evening, the Lanthorn live-tweeted the GVPD’s activity from the @GVLNews Twitter account. Here’s how the night unfolded.

10:46 p.m. “Wrapped up the football game, now finishing briefing and getting ready to hit the road to start the night’s patrol!”

Before beginning the ride along, Sgt. Stoll showed the Lanthorn staff the technology inside his patrol car and discussed basic procedures for the evening. He said the patrol would start with driving around the Allendale Campus and the surrounding areas to assess the environment. The GVPD would respond to dispatch calls and engage in self-initiated contact throughout the night.

11:30 p.m. “Assisted another officer who had subject flee from their contact off campus. Subject was later apprehended.”

Sgt. Stoll responded to a call from another GVPD officer near an off-campus apartment complex. The subject had fled from the officer, causing the situation to escalate. Sgt. Stoll stressed the importance of cooperating with police. Refusal to cooperate reasonably and legally can lead to more severe consequences.

11:39 p.m. “Traffic stop on Lake Michigan Drive leads to drug-related arrest.”

Another GVPD officer made this arrest. For a large portion of the night shift, there were six police units patrolling the area. Normally, there are about three during the day and four or five on weekend nights. Saturday night’s patrol was larger to accommodate increased Halloween weekend activity.

12:14 a.m. “Traffic stop on Lake MI Dr near river. Driver given verbal warning for stop-sign violation.”

Stationed near a four-way intersection, Sgt. Stoll and the Lanthorn observed a driver fail to make a complete stop at a flashing red light. The driver was followed off-campus, pulled over on Lake Michigan Drive eastbound and given a verbal warning.

1:16 a.m. “Assisted Ottawa County sheriff w/ intoxicated subject providing police w/ false information at off-campus apartment. Subject cited for MIP.

1:40 a.m. “Traffic stop on Lake Michigan Dr. Uber driver given verbal warning for improper turn on 48 Ave.”

Sgt. Stoll said the GVPD’s primary goal is safety. Throughout the night, verbal warnings were given to drivers to make sure they were being safe behind the wheel. The GVPD and Lanthorn staff also observed costumed pedestrians, watching for signs of intoxication to ensure they could make it to their final destinations safely.

2:02 a.m. “Traffic stop near Weed Living Center. Uber driver given verbal warning for failure to use turn signal.”

The driver failed to stop at the second set of flashing red lights crossing 48th Avenue on West Campus Drive heading toward the center of campus. GVPD and Lanthorn staff followed the driver to see if this failure to stop was indicative of general poor driving habits. The driver then failed to use his turn indicator pulling into a parking lot.

2:37 a.m. “Medical incident in North Living Center C. Subject transported to Spectrum Health hospital by Life Ambulance.”

Medical situations are ranked from priority three (least serious) to priority one (most serious). In this case, the GVPD received a priority three, non-emergency medical notification that turned into a priority one situation. Both GVPD and Life EMS Ambulance professionals responded to the situation, and the subject was taken via ambulance to a Spectrum Health hospital. Sgt. Stoll said the GVPD staff has training to be medical first responders.

3:11 a.m. “Medical incidents w/ 2 intoxicated subjects at Pickard Living Center. One transported to Spectrum Health hospital.”

As the GVPD and Lanthorn staff prepared to make their final rounds and wrap up patrol for the night, a priority one medical notification was received. The GVPD and Lanthorn “ran code,” speeding through campus with lights flashing and sirens shrieking to respond to the situation. Both subjects started at priority one medical status but were reduced to priority three. One subject was taken to a Spectrum Health hospital.

3:28 a.m. “‘10-42’ and back at the station, finished patrolling for the night!”

After an eventful evening, the Lanthorn staff finished its ride-along with Sgt. Stoll with a “10-42,” the signal for the end of a shift.

The Lanthorn thanks the GVPD and Sgt. Stoll for the opportunity to experience the night patrol firsthand and live-tweet the evening’s events.