Suspect confesses to larcenies at Fieldhouse

Rachel Cross

Several thefts occurred in the Grand Valley State University Fieldhouse between the end of September through the beginning of December, and the suspect confessed to the crime after a lengthy investigation by the Grand Valley Police Department.

GVSU alum Mark Edward Littell confessed to committing the larcenies at the beginning of last December.

Capt. Brandon DeHaan, assistant director of the GVPD, said a number of items were stolen from the Kelly Family Sports Center in the men’s locker room as well as in the Recreational Center area.

DeHaan said Littell is currently being held at the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department, charged and arrested for five counts of larceny as well as two counts of the fraudulent use of a financial transaction device, or the use of an individual’s credit or debit card.

“Littell was familiar with the Fieldhouse as he used to be a student here,” DeHaan said. “He is currently going through the court process.”

DeHaan added that these larcenies were all crimes of opportunity, or crimes that could have been prevented by individuals securing their belongings properly.

“Over 60 percent of larcenies occur because of crimes of opportunity,” DeHaan said. “Larcenies are the No. 1 reported crime at GVSU, and we will investigate all cases with leads.”

In this particular case, DeHaan said specific personal identification information such as driver’s licenses are important to secure so that individuals don’t become victims of larcenies. To secure belongings while at the gym, students can check out locks for free with their student ID.

To report a case of larceny, contact the GVPD at 616-331-3255. In addition, students can call the Fieldhouse at 616-331-8940 for further information on receiving a free lock to secure their items.