News Briefs: “Abrazos” film screening

Drew Howard

“Abrazos” film screening

Latin American studies at Grand Valley State University will be hosting a LIB 100/201 approved viewing of the documentary “Abrazos” on Jan. 21.

“Abrazos,” which translates to “hugs” in English, tells the real-life story of a group of U.S. citizen children who embark on a 3,000-mile journey from Minnesota to Guatemala to meet their grandparents for the first time.

A panel discussion following the screening will feature representatives from Bethany Christian Services/Refugee & Immigrant Youth Mentoring in addition to Grand Rapids community members.

The screening is set to take place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. inside the Eberhard Center.

For more information about the screening, contact the area studies office at [email protected] or (616) 331-8110.

State senator to present at next installment of Wheelhouse Talks

Rebekah Warren, state senator for the 18th district of Michigan, is set to present at the next installment of the Wheelhouse Talks on Jan. 22.

Hosted by the Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies at Grand Valley State University, Wheelhouse Talks regularly feature local leaders and innovators who are active influencers on their community.

In her presentation, Warren will share her experience of being elected to the Michigan House of Representatives as well the work she does today within the majority of Washtenaw County.

For more information about the event, contact the Hauenstein Center at (616) 331-2770.

Alternative rock band to give free performance at GV

Grand Valley State University students looking for some free entertainment are invited to attend the Paradise Fears Coffee Shop Concert on Jan. 23.

Formed in 2007, Paradise Fears is an alternative rock band that has been releasing music independently since 2011. Their latest album, “Life in Real Time,” yielded a tour across major cities along the east coast and Midwest.

The performance is set to take place from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Grand River Room, located inside the Kirkhof Center. GVSU students are admitted free with an ID, while non-GVSU students must pay $5.

For more information about the event, contact Spotlight Productions at [email protected].

Upcoming workshop to focus on life after graduation

The very first PACES Professional Development Workshop of the winter semester will focus on equipping graduate students with the necessary skills to find a job after graduation.

At the workshop, students will be taught proper interview behavior, the importance of social media in job-searching, how to plan a long-term career and well as strategies for adjusting to life post-graduation.

Additionally, students have the option to take part in a cover letter and resume review one-on-one with a workshop specialist.

The workshop is set to take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 23 in the University Club (Room 107C), located at the DeVos Center. The resume and cover letter review portion of the workshop will take place before the 10 a.m. start time.

Third annual Teach-In to focus on power, privilege

The Grand Valley State University community will have the opportunity to take part in dozens of different educational sessions during the university’s third annual Teach-In on Jan. 21.

Sponsored by student senate and university academic senate, the Teach-In will feature nearly 40 sessions all revolving around the theme, “Power, Privilege and Difficult Dialogues.” The Teach-In was purposefully scheduled during the campus’ Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration Week as sessions will cover topics such as racism, gender bias, ableism, poverty and homophobia.

All sessions will take place between 8:30 a.m. and 9 p.m. at both the DeVos Center and the Kirkhof Center. For a full schedule of the day’s events, go to www.gvsu.edu/teach-in.