Arts briefs 12-4-17

Awkward holiday photos to be taken in Kirkhof Center

Grand Valley State University’s Office of Student Life will be hosting “Awkward Holiday Photos” in the Kirkhof Center lobby from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. from Monday, Dec. 4, through Thursday, Dec. 7.

GVSU students are invited to pose for an awkward holiday-themed photo, taken by a photographer against a backdrop, either by themselves or with a group of friends to get into the holiday spirit. 

For more information, contact the GVSU Office of Student Life at [email protected].

Holiday carillon concert set for Tuesday, Dec. 5

The Grand Valley State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) will be holding a holiday carillon concert from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 5, at the Cook Carillon Tower.

The annual holiday concert, which is set to feature holiday songs played from the Cook Carillon Tower, will be accompanied by a tour of the tower. For those who attend, refreshments and door prizes will be offered. 

For more information, contact CLAS at 616-331-2495.

GVSU Swing Dance Club to host holiday dance

The Swing Dance Club at Grand Valley State University is gearing up to host their annual holiday party on Thursday, Dec. 7, starting at 9 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center Pere Marquette Room. This year’s theme for the dance is based on the 1920s, so wearing garb from that time era is encouraged.

All are welcome to attend this free event, and interested students do not need to have any swing dancing experience to attend and enjoy the party, nor do they need a dance partner. At the event, there will be music, line dances, food and students practicing the swing dance moves they learned over the course of the semester. 

For more information, contact the GVSU Swing Dance Club at [email protected].

Violin masterclass to be held Friday, Dec. 8

University of Michigan professor Danielle Belen is set to visit Grand Valley State University to give a violin masterclass from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 8, in the Haas Center for Performing Arts’ Sherman Van Solkema Recital Hall.

The masterclass is free and open to the public, so any interested persons are invited to attend. Interested students can find more information by contacting GVSU professor Gregory Maytan at [email protected].