Quick Hits: Lakers win sixth straight

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
Erika Neuman

GVL/Kevin Sielaff

GVL/Kevin Sielaff Erika Neuman

Lanthorn Staff

Coach forgets uniforms, GVSU wins anyway

Style points rarely determine the outcome of sporting events. The Grand Valley State women’s lacrosse team proved it on Friday in Pepper Pike, Ohio. 

Donning pinnies and track pants, GVSU steamrolled conference foe Ursuline for its second 16-1 victory in as many games.

The Lakers returned home for another GLIAC contest on Sunday and, sporting a camouflage look, defeated McKendree in another blowout, 19-2 .

GVSU (9-4, 4-0 GLIAC) has now won six straight games, outscoring its opponents 105-15 in those contests.

Laker aims for moon, lands in record book

Grand Valley State redshirt sophomore Mike Moon set a school record in the javelin throw last weekend at the Hilltopper Relays in Bowling Green, Ky.

Moon’s mark of 62.29 meters eclipsed the previous GVSU record of 58.12, set by Kevin Kimple in 2006. Moon’s first-place effort earned him an NCAA provisional mark.

Junior Sean Wells also broke a school record over the weekend at the Hillsdale Invitational in Hillsdale, Mich. Wells bested his own record by .03 seconds in the 110 meter hurdles with a first-place time of 13.98.

Two Lakers put ‘student’ in student athlete

On Thursday, the GLIAC recognized 12 student athletes for their athletic and academic excellence with Winter 2014-15 Commissioner’s Awards. 

GVSU’s Ethan Barnes and Gianni Ferrero made the cut.

Barnes, a junior and integrated sciences major with a 3.888 GPA, finished third in the 800 meter at the track and field national championships (1:50.40). 

Ferrero, also a junior, left the swimming and diving championships with six All-America honors. The Idstein, Germany native has a 3.797 GPA in management.