Author to lecture on purposeful life at GVSU

Sarah Hollis

The Bonnie Wesorick Center for Health Care Transformation, part of Grand Valley State University’s Kirkhof College of Nursing, is hosting the fifth annual Wesorick Distinguished Lectureship on Wednesday, March 21, at 6 p.m. in the DeVos Center Loosemore Auditorium.

Founded in 2014, the Wesorick Center was created to honor Bonnie Wesorick, a nurse from West Michigan who dedicated her life to patient-centered care, honoring patient stories, and providing the best places to give and receive care.

“Each year, the center hosts the distinguished lectureship to offer exceptional high-impact opportunities to learn from individuals who are making contributions to the transformation of health care,” said Evelyn Clingerman, executive director of the Wesorick Center. “The lectureship is always provided for students, faculty and staff at GVSU, and everyone in our community.” 

The Wesorick Center also offers continuing education units (CEU) for nurses. The presentation is LIB 100-approved for GVSU students.

The lecturer for this year’s Wesorick Distinguished Lectureship is Victor Strecher. The lecture will be based on his book, which will be available for purchase at the event. 

Strecher is an author, researcher, professor and the director of innovation and social entrepreneurship at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. His book is titled “Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything.” The lecture shares the same title.

“I’ve listened to Dr. Strecher’s story previously, and it is extremely moving,” Clingerman said. “I don’t want to spoil the event, but his tremendous life—changing events around the loss of his daughter, Julia, a nursing student—will touch the hearts and lives of all who hear his life-transforming journey. 

“He will share his story, explore the incredible connection between purposeful living and the latest scientific evidence on quality and longevity of life. He offers the audience an elegant strategy for improving energy, will power, long-term happiness and well-being.”

After the lecture, attendees will have an opportunity to meet Strecher and ask any questions they have, as well as purchase his book and have him sign it. In addition to a novel, Strecher also has an app that helps users track the principles he believes are important contributors to leading a purposeful life. 

The app is called Jool, and it is currently available on both the Apple and Android app stores. The app is based on Strecher’s sailboat metaphor for a purposeful life—personally, within family and within the community. 

Those interested in attending the lecture will need to register online at www.gvsu.edu/wesorick, as there is limited seating in the auditorium. There will be a registration link on the banner of the web page. Those who need assistance registering, or who have more questions, can call the Wesorick Center at 616-331-5767. Free parking for the event will be available in the Seward Lot.