News Briefs 8/26

GSA announces new e-board, plans welcome event

Grand Valley State University’s Graduate Student Association is a campus group that works to create a community for graduate students. The GSA develops the graduate student community through support and opportunities to connect with other students. 

With the start of the fall semester underway, the GSA recently welcomed their new e-board and has planned a Graduate Fall Welcome. The event will give incoming and returning graduate students a chance to mingle and create a support group.

While the GSA offers community help through other students, opportunities are also available to connect with students around the U.S. to share information as well as resources to begin the graduate student journey.

Global Cafe acts as melting pot for cultural diversity

For students interested in studying abroad or meeting a diverse group, the Global Cafe is a weekly meeting to spread language and cultural diversity. Featuring complimentary tea and coffee, students are able to exchange culture, stories and language from noon to 1 p.m. each week.

Through international and exchange students, stories can be shared that are unique and unlike what is heard in classroom settings. This event can also allow students interested in studying abroad to learn about different cultures, improve their foreign language skills and seek out a studying destination.

Student organization Bringing Together the World is also involved in the Global Cafe meetings. The group aims to be a melting pot for international and domestic students at GVSU through their events.

The Global Cafe’s first meeting will be Aug. 28 in Lake Ontario Hall 163.

GV to offer professional development program

Beginning Sept. 3, GVSU will host a digital marketing program designed to train students in professional platforms like Google Ads, HubSpot Email and Google Analytics. The program will span four months and give students certificates in these platforms.

Offered by the Center for Adult and Continuing Studies, the program involves both online and in-person lessons, group work and networking opportunities.

For account manager Amanda Welsh, the program gave her a well-rounded education and also offered exposure to professional programs.

“It was more valuable to me that I gained additional digital awareness to be able to better articulate my thoughts and ask the right questions, and have more confidence in the digital landscape and solutions I can bring to the table for my clients and projects,” Welsh said.

Those interested can register for the program at www.gvsu.greenfig.net.