News Briefs 12/2

GV coordinates computer science program

Grand Valley State University is partnering with non-profit computer science organization Code.org to lead a K-12 computer science curriculum coordination. 

Through the partnership with Code.org, GVSU will be able to coordinate annual professional development for up to 1,000 teachers in that discipline. The partnership will also allow GVSU to continue carrying out the MiSTEM Network mission for increased STEM education. 

For this partnership, GVSU will be working with West Shore Educational Service District, the organization that initially created the program in 2016 and partnered with Code.org to bring the program to the next level.

According to Code.org, the non-profit provides the leading curriculum for K-12 computer science in the largest school districts in the United States, and the curriculum is widely used in Michigan schools.  

Literacy project provides grants to establish classroom libraries

Eighteen Grand Valley State University education graduates received a $500 grant from the GVSU College of Education Michigan Literacy Program (MLP). This program helps teachers who have been teaching for less than three years in underserved areas to establish classroom libraries.

The $500 grant will be used to purchase $1,000 worth of books in a buy one, get one book sale. The program’s founder Megan Freudigmann said that the grant helps new teachers set up libraries quicker.

“We recognize the importance of the availability of quality, children’s literature in each classroom, yet it often takes new teachers several years of personal spending to develop a functional classroom library,” Freudigmann said.

The grant included teachers from the West Michigan area as well as Detroit and Flint.

GV foster program helps students after foster care

Grand Valley State University’s foster program, Fostering Laker Success, has worked since 2017 to help students adjust to college life after experiencing foster care. Students receive help with basic needs, finances, jobs, education, health and identity. 

Students receive a mentor and meet monthly for activities and workshops. Homeless students are also welcome to join the program.

“For me, to see a student who was afraid to talk to a professor now being able to talk independently with the professor, or see a student who was hungry and without stable housing now eating regularly and living on campus, that’s how we know the program is working,” said Jessica Campbell, program director and coach.

More information on the program and how to become a mentor can be found on GVSU’s website.