Laker Life Briefs

Talk current events with OMA

This week, the Office of Multicultural Affairs is hosting the first Conversations of Color event of the Winter 2021 semester. Those who attend can expect open and honest discussions about race, identity, popular culture and recent events in the news. For students seeking credit, the event is INT 100/201 approved.

The discussion will take place virtually over Zoom from 12-1 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 20 and those interested can RSVP on the OMA website at www.gvsu.edu/oma. If you can’t make it to this Conversation, there will be two more this semester on Wednesday, Feb. 17 and Wednesday, March 17.

Padnos International Center plans for long-term travel return

The Padnos International Center has suspended all their study abroad programs for Winter and Spring 2021, but they’re still here to help you plan ahead for future travels, potentially as early as this summer. To prepare, this week they’re hosting a Virtual Study Abroad Fair on Thursday, Jan. 21 and Friday, Jan. 22.

Events range from covering basic information about study abroad, to explanations of specific trips to countries like Iceland, France, Tanzania (and many, many more). Those interested in exploring the opportunities available can find the event schedule in its entirety, as well as Zoom links to specific events, at the Padnos International Center’s website at www.gvsu.edu/studyabroad.

Honor MLK Jr. Day with CSLC

This Saturday, Jan. 23, Grand Valley State University students, faculty and staff are coming together for a day of service in acknowledgement of Martin Luther King Jr. Day earlier in the week. The Community Service Learning Center has organized a full day of service projects and educational opportunities for those interested in getting engaged.

Among the available events are an “upcycling” service project, a workshop on how to write letters to government officials, a panel on GenZ activism, and many more. A full schedule of the day’s activities, as well as registration for individual events, can be found on the CSLC’s website at www.gvsu.edu/service. Be sure to register ahead of time, as they will decide whether events take place digitally or in person depending on whether the number of attendees will work in accordance with social distancing guidelines.