Laker Life Briefs

Digital Dialogue encourages student health, balance

Working in America (especially the service industry) doesn’t allow for much respite, even during a global pandemic. Having strategies to build boundaries and create space to rest is always important, but in our current climate, it’s absolutely vital. The GVSU Recreation and Wellness Center is looking to help students in this area through a Digital Dialogue discussing how to find balance between the demands of your work life and your health and well-being.

The Dialogue, hosted by Student Health Promotions Coordinator Katie Jourdan, will be held over Zoom at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 26. Registration for the event is available now at www.gvsu.edu/alumni.

CSLC provides political context with discussion events

After the inauguration on Jan. 20, the American political landscape has changed considerably, but some things have stayed static throughout the transition. This week, Grand Valley State University’s Community Service Learning Center will be hosting two events discussing the past, present and future of the American political machine.

The first, held from 6-8 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 27, will discuss the census, redistricting and gerrymandering; the second, held from 7-8 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 28, will be about the history of presidential wins, losses and transitions. Those interested can register for the census conversation on Lakerlink or tune into the presidential discussion at the CSLC Instagram @gv_cslc.

Serve and Sip provides volunteering opportunity

The Office of Student Life is partnering with the CSLC to host a “Serve and Sip” event to create Valentines Day care packages for the elderly in our community staying in hospitals and nursing homes. All the necessary materials to make cards and candy packages will be provided, as well as snacks and drinks.

If you’re interested, please register ahead of time on LakerLink, as the in-person event has space limitations in accordance with health and safety guidelines. Volunteers will meet from 7-8 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 30, in the Grand River Room of the Kirkhof Center.