GV football beats Michigan Tech 44-13 in homecoming win

GVL / Macayla Cramer

The No. 2 ranked Grand Valley State University Lakers’ football team capped off homecoming week celebrations with a blowout 44-13 win over the Michigan Technological University Huskies. The Lakers were carried by rushing touchdowns from quarterbacks Cade Peterson and Avery Moore.

GVSU Head Coach Scott Wooster said it makes his life a little easier with his two versatile quarterbacks in the backfield.

“It’s a game changer. A cheat code having these guys. When things break down they both have the ability to run, you can really flip the script. We don’t just have quarterbacks but true ball carriers at the position with Cade and Avery,” Wooster said.

MTU presented unique defensive matchups for the Lakers, but coach Wooster says the Lakers’ dynamic offensive performance is built on the backs of their offensive line.

“The ability to run the football and protect the quarterback the way we did today. A huge part of that is our entire offensive line, and how they prepare. Kyler Blake Jones at the center position gets us in the right calls and IDs. He is very valuable to this team,” Wooster said.

Coming into the game, the Lakers were averaging 263 yards per game and continued their dominating ways by rushing for almost the exact same number, with 264 yards on 44 carries while averaging six yards per carry. Six total players for the Lakers had over 20 rushing yards. 

They were led by quarterback Cade Peterson who ran for 91 yards on 14 carries, scoring three touchdowns, while junior quarterback Avery Moore ran for 43 yards and two touchdowns of his own. Peterson also threw for 164 yards and a touchdown along with two interceptions.

Peterson said his success is a testament to the high level the entire team is playing at.

“The caliber of a team like us has offense, defense and special teams. The other team is going to throw things that you’re not always going to have a clear picture of. The worry you have as a quarterback when you have a defense and special teams like we have, there is none,” Peterson said.

The Laker’s defense showed up and dominated in this game allowing the Huskies’ offense to rush for negative four yards on 22 carries and just 163 yards of total offense. Dominating the line from the beginning of the game forced MTU to change up its game plan.

“They abandoned the run game rather quickly, so we had to put pressure on them to get the ball out quickly, changing up their game plan, making our job easier,” Wooster said.

GVSU senior linebacker Abe Swanson said the domination was a testament to the players doing their jobs and trusting each other.

“It’s just our guys doing their jobs. No matter what it is, just locking into what the call is. Focus on that play, we’re just living in the moment,” Swanson said.

Next week the Lakers look to continue their recent success when they take on their head coach’s alma mater, the Wayne State University Warriors. While at WSU Wooster played right tackle and left guard from 1996 to 1999. He served as a team captain in the final season of his playing career in 1999.

“Not gonna lie, we get off of exit 214 and see Tom Adams field, and that’s what I remember the first time I went to Wayne State. It will hit a little hard. But like everything else, go one for one, take a deep breath, and let’s go play the game we love,” Wooster said.

Wooster also coached for 11 seasons with the Warriors, climbing the ranks from 2009 through 2019, before joining the Lakers’ staff.

The two squads will play on Nov. 4 in Detroit, Michigan at 1 p.m., as the Lakers are 18-1 in the last 20 years against the Warriors. GVSU won 42-14 in last season’s November match up.