GVSU track and field opens outdoor season

Senior Taylor Smith on Friday, Feb. 19, 2016.

Emily Frye

GVL / Emily Frye Senior Taylor Smith on Friday, Feb. 19, 2016.

Jacob Arvidson

The track and field outdoor season is officially underway.

The Grand Valley State pole vaulters traveled to the University of South Florida and the University of Central Florida to compete in two different meets. The GVSU sprinters, hurdlers and jumpers took a road trip to Coastal Carolina University to take part in the Alan Connie Shamrock Invitational.

“It was good to be outside and feel the wind at our back or in our face, and learn how to make the necessary adjustments,” said jumps coach Steve Jones.

Several of the student-athletes were coming off a long weekend in Pittsburg, Kansas at the Division II Indoor National Championships last weekend, but still competed just days later.

“It was a quick turnaround with NCAAs last weekend, but at this point in the season it’s important to chase weather and chase stronger competition later on,” said sprints and hurdles coach Alan Dunson.

Among the three meets, the Lakers reached nine provisional marks and two automatic marks.

Senior pole vaulter Jaime Roberts recorded both automatic marks for the Lakers. At the USF Bulls Invitational on March 17, Roberts cleared the bar at 4 meters to finish third. On March 19, Roberts cleared at 4.02 meters to finish first at the UCF Black and Gold Challenge.

“I am happy to hit 4 meters again, however, to be competitive for outdoor I need those next bars. Technique-wise, there is still a lot for me to work on,” Roberts said. “Whitney (Bice) and Skylar (Schoen) were able to use Thursday’s meet and learn from it to pull off huge personal records for both of them with 3.87 meters. Saturday’s meet definitely showed the mental toughness that Grand Valley pole vault has by being able to warm up three times with rain delays, an undecided wind and rain and still be able to hit high bars.

“It’s nice to have these girls as teammates. They are so focused and provide such great competition that jumping against the DI athletes doesn’t really bother us. We know we can compete with them and proved that this weekend.”

Schoen and Bice finished second and third, respectively, at the Black and Gold challenge. They both cleared at 3.87 meters to earn provisional marks.

Sophomore sprinter Angie Ritter recorded two provisional marks during the Alan Connie Shamrock Invitational. She finished sixth overall in the women’s 100-meter dash, but her best time (11.87 seconds) came in the preliminary race. Ritter also finished ninth in the 200-meter dash with a provisional mark of 24.21 seconds.

“I had no idea I had enough in me to run that strong,” Ritter said. “I feel like I haven’t been more focused though, and it’s really paying off. Last year, my opener was a whole second slower, so it’s amazing to see how far I’ve come and it just makes me that much more excited for this season.”

Dunson was proud of the sophomore’s performances.

“A highlight was Ritter in the 200,” he said. “It was a lifetime best for her.”

Ritter joined with Jessica O’Connell, Alexis Duncan and Skylar Dantzler in the women’s 4×400-meter relay and the foursome earned a provisional mark with a time of 3:46.99.

The women’s 4×400 team only ran a faster time twice during the 2015 season, but after being cut from the indoor nationals meet for not having a fast enough qualifying time, Dunson said he hopes the group is motivated.

Redshirt freshman Lawson Bright-Mitchell had a lifetime-best time of 10.72 seconds in the men’s 100-meter dash where he finished second. Bright-Mitchell also hit a provisional mark in the 200-meter dash with his fourth-place time of 21.50 seconds.

Jumpers Tor’i Brooks and Hunter Weeks each earned a provisional mark at Coastal Carolina. Brooks’ 7.29-meter in the long jump was just four centimeters off the GVSU record, and Weeks cleared the bar at 2.05 meters in the high jump.

“One of the highlights was Tor’i Brooks in the long jump,” Jones said. “Coming off of the national meet he was pretty sore and tired, but he was able to put out a great jump to start the season.”

Senior Sean Wells had a strong opening performance in the 110-meter hurdles, finishing second in 14.12 seconds to earn a provisional mark.

“I think the biggest thing we can take away from this is that it’s a starting place,” Jones said. “Somewhere where we can build off of and continue to improve upon.”

The GVSU team will be in North Carolina for its next competition. After taking a break this weekend, the long distance runners will travel to North Carolina State University to participate in the Raleigh Relays on March 25.