Quick hits: Carter nabs player of the week laurels

Lanthorn Staff

Martayveus Carter named GLIAC Offensive Player of the Week

Martayveus Carter, the sophomore starting running back on the Grand Valley State football team, earned GLIAC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against Lake Erie. Carter finished the game with 144 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

Carter did all of his damage in the first half. On the first play of the game, Carter broke off a 79-yard touchdown run. On the same run, Carter became the 35th player in GVSU history to record 1,000 rushing yards as a part of the Lakers. Carter added a 30-yard touchdown run and a 2-yard touchdown catch later in the half.

In only 18 carries on the year, Carter has accumulated 201 rushing yards with three touchdowns. His yards per carry rate is at 11.2 yards. Furthermore, Carter has only played in four of the eight quarters so far this year.

Brower earns GLIAC North Division Player of the Week

After a 4-0 weekend at the Vulcan Invitational in California, Pennsylvania for the Grand Valley State women’s volleyball team, sophomore Staci Brower was named GLIAC North Division Player of the Week. Brower accumulated 59 kills and 16 blocks throughout the four games of the weekend.

Brower, along with Katie Olson and Jayci Suseland, was named to the Vulcan Invitational All-Tournament Team. She led the team in kills and blocks while posting a .495 hitting average.

The former GLIAC Freshman of the Year ranks in the top five in most defensive categories in the GLIAC. Brower ranks first in total (37) and solo blocks (11), second in blocks per game (1.23) and block assists (26) and fifth in the league in total points (114).

This is Brower’s second player of the week award. She won the award last season as a freshman Sept. 28, 2015.

GV football moves to No. 2 ranking in AFCA Football Coaches’ Poll

After a 55-7 drubbing of Lake Erie, the Grand Valley State football team bumped up to the No. 2 spot in the AFCA Football Coaches’ Top 25. The Lakers were previously behind Northwest Missouri State and West Georgia for the third spot.

GVSU has outscored its opponents 100-14 in the first two games of the season. While Northwest Missouri received all of the first place votes and 750 points, the Lakers received 690 points, one more than West Georgia. A couple of GLIAC rivals round out the top six, with Ashland in fifth with 619 points and Ferris State in sixth with 594 points.

The Lakers will butt heads with Northern Michigan Saturday, Sept. 17 as part of GVSU’s annual Family Day at Lubbers Stadium.