News briefs

Aries Trio set to highlight latest Arts at Noon

Aries Trio is set to perform at the next Arts at Noon session starting at noon on Wednesday, March 11 in the Cook-DeWitt Center on the Grand Valley State University Allendale campus.

Aries Trio is a Grand Rapids-based band founded several years ago by Richard Stoelzel, Grand Valley State University trumpet professor. The band also includes violinist Megan Crawford from the Grand Rapids Symphony and pianist Sheryl Lott.

The band is known for its exciting, lively and complex compositions and is currently planning on recording a CD in between other scheduled performances.

The concert is free to the public and will last for one hour. For more information about the event, the Music and Dance Department can be reached at (616) 331-3484.

New VP of Inclusion and Equity to be welcomed by faculty

Jesse M. Bernal, Grand Valley State University’s newest vice president for Inclusion and Equity, will be welcomed by faculty and staff members with two receptions on campus.

The first reception ran from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, March 11 in the Thornapple Room at the Kirkhof Center.

The second reception runs from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday, March 19 in the University Club Room at the DeVos Center.

All GVSU staff and faculty are encouraged and welcome to attend. For more information, contact Michele Coffill at (616) 331-2221.

Graduate student passes away

Grand Valley State University graduate student Stephanie Anne Urbanawiz passed away after a battle with breast cancer at age 29.

Urbanawiz was a graduate student at GVSU majoring in physician assistant studies. She had previously graduated with a degree in chemistry from Central Michigan University.

A funeral service for Urbanawiz took place on March 7 in Muskegon, Mich. Urbanawiz’s family and the Physician Assistant Studies program has created a scholarship fund in her name. The scholarship will go towards GVSU’s Physician Assistant Studies department.

Tolstoy expert to give speech on “War and Peace”

Andrew Kaufman, an internationally renowned Leo Tolstoy expert, will give a keynote speech at the American Conversations Series on the book “War and Peace” in an effort to make it more approachable to readers.

Kaufman is a professor at the University of Virginia as well the author of the novel “Give War and Peace a Chance.” His Tolstoy expertise has been showcased on Oprah.com as well as by journalist Katie Couric.

The event, which is presented by the Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies, will take place at 7 p.m. on March 12 in the Loosemore Auditorium at Grand Valley State University’s Pew Campus. Attendance is free to the general public.

For more information, go to hauensteincenter.org.

Pi Day Celebrations

The Grand Valley State University Mathematics and Statistics Club will celebrate Pi Day through a number of events, including a fundraiser event and a potluck party.

The annual Pi Day fundraiser will give students the opportunity to donate money into different cups labeled with names of professors and graduating seniors in Mathematics and Statistics, along with students in the Biostatistics graduate program. Students and faculty will be pied in the face on Friday, March 13 at 4 p.m. on the second floor of Mackinac Hall according to who has the most money in their cup.

There will also be a Pi Day Potluck which includes a screening of a film. The potluck will take place on Saturday, March 14 from 7 p.m. to 9:26 p.m.

For more information, contact Danielle Harris at [email protected].