News briefs 10/2/17

Blood drives on Allendale Campus

Grand Valley State University, in partnership with the American Red Cross and Michigan Blood, will be holding blood drives on the Allendale Campus.

The blood drives will be hosted by GVSU student organizations such as Phi Gamma Delta, Delta Zeta, the Laker Roller Hockey Club and more. All of these groups will be promoting and encouraging potential blood donors to sign up by appointment.

The American Red Cross drives will be held monthly in the Kirkhof Center Pere Marquette Room from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The Michigan Blood drives will take place monthly near Kleiner Commons and outside of the Kirkhof Center from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. 

The American Red Cross will be holding a drive Monday, Oct. 2, and the next Michigan Blood drive will be held from Tuesday, Oct. 10, through Friday, Oct. 13.

Surplus Store holds sale for Sustainability Week

In celebration of Sustainability Week, the Surplus Store at Grand Valley State University will be taking 17 percent off all in-store purchases at its Wednesday, Oct. 4, sale. 

The Surplus Store resells university items and equipment, including furniture, technology, office supplies, workout equipment and more. 

The Sustainability Week sale will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 140 Front St. SW.

During the store’s Wednesday sales, parking for the general public will be open in the GVSU Watson Lot, as long as the parking booth attendant is notified of Surplus Store attendance.

New sandwich shop opening near Pew Campus

A new Grain Sandwich Shop is opening up a half mile off the Pew Campus in downtown Grand Rapids.

Grain Sandwich Shop will have its first official day of business Saturday, Oct. 7, and doors will open at 11 a.m. The shop is located at 812 Butterworth St. SW.

To fuel the excitement, the new shop will be offering $5 sandwiches to all who visit on opening day, as well as coupons, stickers and to-go menus. 

Health forum series to focus on health care jobs 

The monthly Health Forum of West Michigan series will host its first event of the year, “The Health Care Talent Pipeline,” with a panel discussion focusing on the supply and demand of health care jobs, as well as how higher education institutions are moving to accommodate industry employees and employers. 

The discussion will be held Friday, Oct. 6, from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. in the Richard M. DeVos Center Loosemore Auditorium. The series, sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, is hosted by the Office of the Vice Provost for Health, and the meetings are free and open to the public.

The panelists include Laurie Chelsey, provost of Grand Rapids Community College, and Maria Cimitile, provost and executive vice president for academic and student affairs at Grand Valley State University. Jean Nagelkerk, GVSU vice provost for health, will serve as moderator.

For more information on panelists and the upcoming event, visit www.gvsu.edu/gvnow/2017/health-forum-series-begins-with-focus-on-health-care-jobs-10166.htm.