Laker Life briefs 9-7-17

“Wonder Woman” showing at Big Screen Theatre

For feminists, superhero fans and movie enthusiasts alike, the Grand Valley State University Big Screen Theatre in the Kirkhof Center will be showing “Wonder Woman” from Friday, Sept. 8, through Thursday, Sept. 21, with showings at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.

“Wonder Woman” is a recent film release from Warner Bros. Studios. The film centers around the superhero before she takes on the persona of “Wonder Woman” and shows her as Diana, princess of the Amazons, as she leaves her home for the first time to fight for others.

For more information, contact Spotlight Productions at [email protected].

Study abroad first step meeting

Grand Valley State University students interested in studying abroad are welcome to attend a study abroad first step meeting hosted by the Padnos International Center (PIC).

Meetings will be held every Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and every Friday from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. in Room 130 of Lake Ontario Hall. The meetings cover basic study abroad information that students need to start planning their trips, such as program selection, funding, academics and more.

Open walk-in advising hours are offered to students who can’t attend a first step meeting or need more in-depth advising.

For more information, contact the PIC at 616-331-3898 or [email protected].

September Service Saturday to be held Saturday, Sept. 9

Grand Valley State University Alternative Breaks is set to hold the September Service Saturday event Saturday, Sept. 9, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Those who attend the event will be meeting in Room 2204 of the Kirkhof Center and will have food available to them, as well as transportation to locations where they will do volunteer work.

For more information, contact Emma Steele, vice president of community impact, at [email protected].

Mozart’s ‘Grand Partita’ to be performed on campus

Grand Valley State University is hosting a concert of Mozart’s “Serenade in B-Flat Major, KV 361, the Grand Partita” Monday, Sept. 11, at 7:30 p.m. in the Louis Armstrong Theatre.

One of Mozart’s most famous symphonies, the Grand Partita is a standard composition for an orchestra with a high focus on the wind section, but is unique in its inclusion of bass and basset horns.

GVSU faculty and members of the Grand Rapids Symphony will be conducted by former United States Air Force band conductor Lowell Graham. The event is free to students.

For more information, call 616-331-3484.