Disability Support Resources expand services

GVL/Kevin Sielaff 
Van operater Jenna Bud and student Sara Krahel use the vans lift on Sept. 23.

Kevin Sielaff

GVL/Kevin Sielaff Van operater Jenna Bud and student Sara Krahel use the van’s lift on Sept. 23.

Ashlyn Korienek

Students and faculty at Grand Valley State University with temporary or permanent disabilities can use the new on-demand transportation for the fall 2015, provided by the Disability Support Resources department.

Shontaye Witcher, associate director of the DSR at GVSU, said the “on call” van shuttle service is free for any student, staff or faculty with temporary injuries or permanent disabilities.

“The services expanded a couple of years ago with two accessible vans to ensure that students get to classes, on campus residences and activities timely, safely and efficiently,” Witcher said.

Aaron Breting, DSR transportation coordinator, said the van service shuttle is on call Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Students should give a 24-hour notice if rides are needed outside of these times.

The shuttle pickup destination will be located at the island in parking lot D1, which is next to the handicap parking spaces at the south end closest to Mackinac Hall. After requesting a ride, students should wait at least 10 minutes for the shuttle to arrive to the destination as it may be dropping off another student.

“The van shuttle service at Grand Valley is needed for students, faculty and staff who have limited mobility,” Breting said. “Our on-call feature is new for those who want to park in lot D1 or lot M.”

Students can request a ride by appointment or schedule van shuttle service by contacting (616) 331-2490. Breting said anyone interested in shuttle transportation must register with the DSR at www.gvsu.edu/dsr, an online application is available for convenience.

Pickup and drop-off locations are limited to the Allendale Campus only and will be located at handicap-accessible doors when available. Furthermore, the van service is not available to off-campus locations such as off-campus housing, Pew Campus, banks and stores.

According to the van service guidelines, availability may be limited and appointments will be scheduled closely to the requested times. In addition, the van driver will wait for five minutes past the scheduled pick-up time before leaving for the next scheduled ride.

The pickup and drop-off locations include: parking lot D1, Mackinac Hall the B wing at the north entrance or D wing, Manitou, the water fountain behind the Student Services Building, near the clock tower, between Au Sable and Lake Huron Hall, the James Zumberge Hall next to the pond and between Lake Michigan Hall and Lake Ontario Hall.

In addition to the on-call shuttle service, the scheduled van service runs fall 2015, Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 5 p.m.

For more information, students can visit www.gvsu.edu/parking. To request van service, visit the DSR website at www.gvsu.edu/dsr.