Laker Life briefs 10/12/17

Swing dance club comes to campus

The Grand Rapids Original Swing Society (GROSS) will be coming to Grand Valley State University’s Allendale Campus Thursday, Oct. 19, at 9 p.m. 

GROSS will be teaming up with Spotlight Productions to host a swing dance night in Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room. Dance lessons will be held before the event begins, so all skill levels are welcome to attend.

Refreshments will be provided at the event. For more information, contact Spotlight Productions at [email protected].

Open mic night to be held Friday, Oct. 13

Spotlight Productions is set to host an open mic night Friday, Oct. 13, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center Lounge, located next to the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center.

Grand Valley State University students are encouraged to perform their talents at the event. In addition to providing Lakers a space to perform, Spotlight Productions will also provide complimentary snacks for attendees.

For more information, contact Spotlight Productions at [email protected].

Career fair being held Thursday, Oct. 19 

More than 1,700 students are expected to attend the Grand Valley State University fall career fair Thursday, Oct. 19, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the DeVos Place Convention Center in Grand Rapids. 

The career fair is an opportunity for GVSU students to network and find potential jobs and/or internships. The fair is open to all majors and is expected to have more than 230 organizations with immediate openings to fill.

For more information on the career fair, contact the GVSU Career Center at 616-331-3311.

GVSU jazz concert taking place on Allendale Campus

The Haas Center for Performing Arts will be holding a jazz concert performed by Grand Valley State University’s Large Jazz Ensemble this Friday, Oct. 13, at 7:30 p.m. 

This performance will be under the direction of Tim Froneck, and Jazz Combos will perform under the direction of Michael Drost.

This event will be free and open to the public at the Louis Armstrong Theatre.

Native American Student Association day of service

The Grand Valley State University Native American Student Association (NASA), in conjunction with the GVSU Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Community Service Learning Center, will be holding the NASA Day of Service on Saturday, Oct. 21, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

The NASA Day of Service is NASA’s contribution to GVSU’s annual Make a Difference Day. Partnering with the Grand Rapids Public Museum and Grand Rapids’ local Native American community to ensure proper respect and honor is given to the service effort.

NASA and its partners will work to clean up Norton Mound National Historic Landmark, one of a few surviving Hopewellian burial mound groups formerly present in the Grand River Valley. Space is limited, so RSVP is required.

For more information, contact the GVSU Office of Multicultural Affairs at [email protected].