More than just cookies:

GVL / Audra Gamble
girl scout campers doing a STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) project where they sewed circuits to make lightning bug jars that actually lit up

GVL / Audra Gamble girl scout campers doing a STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) project where they sewed circuits to make lightning bug jars that actually lit up

Hannah Lentz

The Girl Scouts of Michigan Shore to Shore are coming to Grand Valley State University on Saturday, Oct. 4 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to do more than sell cookies. Specifically, they are coming to learn about women in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics).

During this event, a select group of over 20 GVSU student volunteers will act as team leaders to 50 Girl Scouts who will attend the event. The girls from the organization will participate in two full science lab activities, have lunch with current GVSU students, complete a campus scavenger hunt that includes tours of student rooms, and then end the day with a science game show and a panel of current women students majoring in the STEM fields.

GVSU has a special living center called Women in Science & Engineering (WISE) that was started by Laurie Witucki of the chemistry department in 2008. Witucki was on a sabbatical last year, but is also back now and actively involved in this year’s event. Karen Gipson assumed the role of faculty director of WISE last year. WISE co-sponsors the event, along with the Women’s Center and the Women’s Leadership House.

“This is a very important event because research has shown that these years are crucial in young women’s educational paths,” Gipson said. “Many extremely capable girls lose interest in STEM careers during their pre-teen/teen-aged years for lack of role models or because the STEM fields aren’t viewed as ‘feminine.’ 

“This event is one small way to confront old stereotypes and help girls see that they can succeed in whatever careers they may choose. In the long journey for gender equity, every step matters.”

Gipson is also the faculty sponsor of the Society of Physics Students and of a new RSO for women in STEM fields. Through these organizations, she looks to recruit GVSU students from those, and other science clubs, to be involved in the science aspects of the event.

“Women are still the minority in the STEM fields,” said Brittany Dernberger, assistant director of the Women’s Center. “In order to encourage more women to major in the STEM fields at the college-level, it’s important to engage young girls and get them excited about STEM-related topics. If they’re exposed to the possibility of majoring and pursuing a career in the STEM fields at a young age, it will hopefully lead to an increase of women in these professions.”

According to a 2011 report by the U.S. Department of Commerce, only one in seven engineers are female. Additionally, women have seen no employment growth in STEM jobs since 2000. This event focuses on these issues and hopes to increase female involvement in these type of careers.

A subsequent reason for hosting this event is the fact that it serves as a college access awareness event.

“For these Girl Scouts who may or may not have access to information about how to apply or go to college, this provides them a space to ask questions and get a real-world glimpse of what it’s like to be a college student,” Dernberger said.