Finals week survival guide

GVL / Nickolas Peters

GVL / Nickolas Peters

Alyssa Rettelle

It is common knowledge that finals week can be a stressful time for students. Grand Valley State University is hosting multiple events around campus in an attempt to make exams go as smoothly as possible.

Patrick Johnson, the director of the Meijer Center for Writing, said the Writing Center does a program called “Writing Right Where you Are” at the end of every semester.

“Writing Right Where you Are is where we add additional locations for the Writing Center near student living areas. This year, we’re offering hours until the third of December in Kleiner Commons and The Connection,” Johnson said. 

The regular drop-in hours on the Allendale Campus, Pew Campus and online are still available.

The Mary Idema Pew Library is also offering an exam cram, which includes longer hours of operation. From Dec. 1 through Dec. 11, the library will be open 24-hours every Monday through Thursday. On Friday, the hours are from midnight until 2 a.m. and from 10 a.m. until 2 a.m on Saturday.

Argo Tea also has exam cram hours from 2 p.m. until 1 a.m. on Sunday, 9 a.m. until 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Friday and it will be closed on Saturday. Thursday, Dec. 11 is the exception, where both the Mary Idema Pew and Argo Tea’s hours will be from 7 a.m. until midnight.

The Steelcase Library on the Pew Campus also has extended hours. They are 11 a.m. until 2 a.m. on Sunday, 7:30 a.m. until 2 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. until midnight on Friday and 9 a.m. until midnight on Saturday. The hours on Dec. 11 will be 7:30 a.m. until midnight.

On Dec. 4, there will be multiple events offered in the Mary Idema Pew Library, such as sleep and stress screenings from 10 a.m. until noon, chair massages from 3 to 6 p.m., pet therapy from 3 to 5 p.m. and blood pressure screenings from 3 to 6 p.m. 

There will also be a Total Body Toning class from 5 to 5:45 p.m. in the dance studio. Friday, there will be Power Yoga available from 11 a.m. until noon in the dance studio.

During the week of exams, there will still be free events happening. On Dec. 8, there are chair massages from 3 to 6 p.m. in the library, pet therapy from 3 to 5 p.m. in the library and yoga and meditation from 9 to 9:45 p.m. in the library. On Tuesday and Wednesday there will be chair massages from 3 to 6 p.m. in the library.

All of the free exam cram events are sponsored by campus recreation, Housing and Residence Life, the Writing Center, West Michigan Therapy Dogs, university counseling center, university libraries and campus dining.