News Briefs: “Doing Business in South Korea” conference

“Doing Business in South Korea” conference

The Van Andel Global Trade Center at Grand Valley State University will host a one-day conference focusing on how Michigan can continue its business relationship with South Korea as the country’s population and economy rapidly grow.

Titled “Doing Business in South Korea,” guest speakers at the conference will discuss business strategies, highlight tips for building relationships, and inform attendees on Michigan’s imports, exports and investments with South Korea.

The conference is scheduled to take place from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept. 18 at the Eberhard Center located on the Pew Campus.

To register for the event, contact the Van Andel Global Trade Center at (616) 331-6811 or go to www.vagtc.com.

ArtPrize Education Days continues to grow

A record 2,800 students from 25 separate Grand Valley State University – authorized charter schools are expected to take part in ArtPrize Education Days, an eight-day program in which students will engage with this year’s ArtPrize entries.

The theme of this year’s ArtPrize Education Days is “From Recycled ‘Trash’ to Wearable Art.” Throughout the week, students will learn how to create their own art through the use of ordinary objects.

Thanks to a $5,000 grant from ArtPrize, charter schools from areas such as Detroit, Muskegon, Lansing, Big Rapids and Battle Creek will be able to have their students participate as well.

For more information, contact Nate Hoekstra at (616) 331-2221.

Anthropology Department to host community service internship reception

Grand Valley State University’s anthropology department will host a reception for students of all majors interested in learning more about community service and internship opportunities today from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

During the event, the anthropology department will create an opportunity for students to network with both its community partners and GVSU faculty and learn more about possible internships working within the community.

The reception will take place in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2215.

For more information, contact Deana Weibel at (616) 331-3346.

Meditation and Mindfulness

The organization Meditation and Mindfulness is holding an actitivty from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 17 for Grand Valley State University students who are looking for a break. Meditation can help lower stress and suffering.

The meditation group is looking to balance the traditional Zazen meditation and non-traditional practices. They will also introduce other types of meditation, including visualization practices, guided meditations and drum journeys. During the event, students will have the chance to talk about their personal hardships, accomplishments and challenges.

It is recommended that attendees bring a pillow or cushion to keep them comfortable during the session. For more information, contact [email protected], or visit them on Facebook at facebook.com/groups/341819219319540/.