News briefs: Laker Familia enters second year

Laker Familia enters second year

Grand Valley State University helped welcome incoming Latino students as well as their family members in a three-day program held from Aug. 23-25.

Laker Familia, created by the Latino Student Initiative (LSI), has now entered its second year. The previous year saw more than 250 students attend the program, 62 of whom were first-year students.

Activities at the Laker Familia program included team-building workshops, a faculty panel as well a special session designed for parents of the Latino students.

Sexual assault awareness video to play during football halftime show

The first home football game of the Grand Valley State University season will aim to educate with a short video at halftime that will discuss the reality of sexual assault on campus.

Titled “It’s On Us,” the video will include both students and campus leaders at GVSU. The video has been made possible through various campus departments such as Athletics, the Women’s Center as well as the Division of Inclusion and Equity.

The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 3 with doors opening at 6 p.m.

For more information about the “It’s On Us” campaign, go to www.gvsu.edu/itsonus.

Wheelhouse Talks series begins new season

The Wheelhouse Talks series will begin its 2015-2016 season with Grand Valley State University professor Charles Pazdemik as its first guest speaker.

Pazdemik’s presentation is set to focus on the viewpoints of ancient Greek and Roman concerning challenges and adversity. The professor will also discuss a personal hardship he endured just one year ago when his spinal cord was permanently disabled.

Hosted by the Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies, the event will take place from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 11 in the Loosemore Auditorium on GVSU’s Pew Campus.

The event is free for the public to attend. For more information about Pazdemic’s lecture, go to www.hauensteincenter.org.

“Terms of Service” art exhibit

Grand Valley State University art students Krzysztof Lower and Annie Teal will have their work featured in an exhibition along with artwork from both national and international artists on the Allendale Campus.

Titled “Terms of Service,” the exhibition will highlight how increased monitoring of individuals can affect identity and create certain conditions within people.

The exhibition is set to kick off on Thursday, Sept. 3 with an opening reception at 5 p.m. inside the Calder Fine Arts Center. A panel discussion will take place the following week on Thursday, Sept. 10 at 5 p.m.

“Terms of Service” is set to run through Tuesday, Sept. 15. For more information, go to www.termsofservice.tumblr.com.

Back to School Bash

Grand Valley State University students will have the chance meet with the Fraternity and Sorority Life Community as well as Spotlight Productions on Thursday, Sept. 3 before the first home football game.

The “Back to School Bash” will be held on the GVSU tennis court from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Students are encouraged to attend the home football game following the event.

Students can expect to find music, food, games, inflatables and more at the “Back to School Bash.”

For more information about the event, contact Morgan Addis at [email protected].