Seidman College ranked top business school by Princeton Review

GVL / Sara Carte
Grand Valley students study and work in the Seidman College of Business on Oct. 14.

Sara Carte

GVL / Sara Carte Grand Valley students study and work in the Seidman College of Business on Oct. 14.

Meghan McBrady

Grand Valley State University’s business school is among the best business colleges in the world, according to the Princeton Review.

The Seidman College of Business, which is located in downtown Grand Rapids, was named one of the “Best 295 Business Schools” around the world for the 2015-2016 school year.

Ranked alongside Stanford University and Harvard University’s business schools, the Princeton Review surveyed more than 22,000 students at the business schools to find which schools have the best professors, best classroom experience, most competitive students and even the best green MBA.

Joy Gianakura, the director of the undergraduate programs office in Seidman College, said she could not be happier with the placement and the recognition that the business school is receiving.

“It certainly is an honor to be recognized as and be among the top business graduate programs in the nation,” she said. “It is something we are proud of and will continue to work toward maintaining.”

Seidman College, which provides a multi-international perspective within the business world, offers a variety of undergraduate majors, including accounting, business economics and supply chain management.

Gianakura indicated that the graduate programs at Seidman College – which consists of the Masters of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Science in Accountancy (MSA) and Master of Science in Taxation (MST) programs – have students working closely with their professors in order to grow and prosper within the business world.

Students, she said, gain the most insight and knowledge from their professors as there is an overall appreciation for how smart and efficient they are within the classroom. The fact that professors within Seidman College also have real-world experience, while making their students gain that experience by working with local and international businesses, helps make a difference in the quality of education that the students receive at GVSU.

“They work diligently to instill real world principles in students and know how to demonstrate solutions to everyday business problems,” Gianakura said. “Being an AACSB accredited school says to incoming students and employers that we have met the highest standards of accreditation within business programs as it is a process of continuous improvement and one that we take very seriously.”

Koleta Moore, the associate director of the graduate programs at Seidman College, said the review and the survey results ultimately show that the school has a strong curriculum and has achieved the highest level of accreditation. In other words, she said, they are maintaining and being recognized for their top notch business education in Western Michigan and within the rest of the world.

“We strive to uphold the Seidman legacy and serve our students in a way that is both relevant and meaningful,” she said. “Our willingness and strive to evolve as a business and within an academic institution shows not only how cutting edge we are, but also emphasizes how much (we) contribute and effect our society.”

For more information about Seidman College and its undergraduate and graduate programs, visit www.gvsu.edu/seidman.