Genetics expert entertains hundreds of local high schoolers

Genetic Updates Conference

GVL / Emily Frye Genetic Updates Conference

Hannah Lentz

Genetics and chromosomal and monogenic inheritance are not often well-received when talked about at 9 a.m.

On Nov. 10, Sam Rhine presented just this and much more at Grand Valley State University to a crowd of high school students.

Rhine has been coming to GVSU for the past 11 years to share his knowledge of genetic information to high school students and teachers. Rhine’s 2014-2015 lecture was sponsored by the Regional Math and Science Center.

Over 300 high school students were in attendance from several schools including Forest Hills Northern, Allendale, Pine River, Hopkins, North Muskegon, Kenowa Hills, Portage Central and Portage Northern.

Rhine began the conference with a review of chromosomal and monogenic inheritance. He then gave an overview of the human genome, providing a basis for the focus of this year’s conference entitled, “The Genetics of Common Diseases.”

His one-day conferences are designed to teach the latest in genetics advances and active research areas. Basic concepts of human cancer, stem cells and human tissue engineering were the primary focuses of the 11th annual Genetic Update Conference.

Each year, Rhine switches the focus of his scientific conference to emphasize another aspect of science to present to students in attendance.

“We hope students come away with a deeper understanding of genetics and medicine and they get excited about entering this profession,” said Margo Dill of the Regional Math and Science Center. “These types of medical advances and the cutting edge research is very exciting and motivating for students to think they could dedicate themselves to medicine in this way. It would be a very fulfilling career choice.”

Rhine has traveled the country giving lectures for over 30 years. He has also spoken to audiences in Toronto and Montreal; Tokyo; Vienna; Prague; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Nairobi, Kenya, devoting himself to the spread of genetics education.

Saying that he wants to take biology “out of the textbook and into the real world,” he looks to spread his knowledge through his lectures.

“The conference aims to inform high school students and their teachers about the rapidly evolving advancements and careers in medicine and genetics research while giving multiple lectures and discussing medical advancements and social issues in the realm of genetics,” Dill said.

Additionally, in 1997, the National Association of Biology Teachers presented Rhine with the NABT Honorary Membership Award. This award is given to one teacher in the U.S. annually and is the highest honor that the association can bestow upon members of the profession.

“Although some of Dr. Rhine’s topics are sometimes mentioned by the mainstream media sources, most of what you hear and understand from his lectures is work that he has gleamed from countless medical journals, technical research papers, colleagues and friends, and medical conferences,” Dill said. “He has a very concise way of synthesizing this information into something that is very exciting and understandable for the public.”