HIV Awareness

The Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center is sponsoring free and confidential HIV testing for the Grand Valley State University community from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. today in Room 2204 of the Kirkhof Center. The Grand Rapids Red Project, a nonprofit organization working to improve health and reduce the risk of HIV, is providing the tests in honor of World AIDS Day.

In addition, the LGBT Center is hosting an event called “The Low Down on HIV in 2014” at 4 p.m. today in the same location to provide students with information regarding the disease.

Excellence Series: Communication Skills for Women

The Grand Valley State University human resources department is hosting a workshop from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. in Room 2263 of the Kirkhof Center and from 1 to 4 p.m. in Room 340 in the Bicycle Factory on Tuesday.

The event is geared toward faculty and staff members. Sharon Tick, a training consultant, will present on how to create effective interaction and communication methods. Women are encouraged to attend to learn how to improve their communication in a way that earns the respect of others and makes them more confident in speaking.

The program is approved for PSS development credit. To register, visit www.gvsu.edu/seminar.

What Should I Know about Title IX and Sexual Assault Reporting?

The Women’s Center is sponsoring a discussion about Title IX at noon on Tuesday in the Women’s Center lobby. The event is part of the Talk Back Tuesday series.

Many at Grand Valley State University have heard the topics of sexual assault and Title IX in the news recently, but they might not know what it means. This event will help students learn about their rights and the resources available to them. Classes are encouraged to join in the conversation.

For more information, contact [email protected].

Defend Our History, Unlock Your Spirit: Native American Urban History Project

The Grand Valley State University Office of Multicultural Affairs is offering a campus dialogue program from 6 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday in the Multipurpose Room of the Mary Idema Pew Library. This event is LIB 100/ LIB 201 approved.

The event will focus on the experiences of urban Native Americans in West Michigan. Students, faculty and staff will learn about the ongoing oral history project that will create the first archival collection for these native people. Attendees will also learn how they can get involved and raise awareness about the local history of this population.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/oma or contact the office at (616) 331-2177.

Sustainability Mixer

The Grand Valley State University Office of Sustainability Practices and the Brooks Professional Series are sponsoring an interactive event from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday in the L. William Seidman Center. The event is LIB 100 approved.

Students will learn more about careers in sustainability, network with employers currently working in the fields and connect with GVSU alumni and community members. Attendees are required to wear business casual clothing and bring a copy of their resume.

To RSVP, visit www.gvsu.edu/integrativelearning/.