AWRI researcher receives science education award

GVL / Courtesy - GVSU.edu  
Dr. Janet Vail

GVL / Courtesy – GVSU.edu Dr. Janet Vail

Meghan McBrady

A Grand Valley State University faculty member has been awarded the 2016 Informal Science Educator Award by the Michigan Science Teachers Association (MSTA).

Janet Vail, a research scientist at the Annis Water Resources Institute (AWRI) in Muskegon, Michigan has been selected for the award due to her scholarly contributions to the community and her work within non-school-based science education.

Karen Meyers, director of GVSU’s Regional Math and Science Center, works with Vail and was the person to nominate her for the award. She said she nominated Vail because of her work in the environmental education field for schools, teachers, students and businesses for over 25 years.

“She provides leadership for the AWRI’s research vessel education program and has developed a unique education classroom at AWRI where visitors of all ages can learn about Lake Michigan and environmental stewardship,” she said. “Over 5,000 students and others per year participate in these hands-on science programs.”

Originally from Grand Rapids, Vail became interested in science when she would spend her childhood summers on Lake Michigan and would explore its surrounding environment. She was also inspired by Mary Jane Dockery, the founder of Blandford Nature Center, and her passion to teach students and visitors about the natural world.

Vail attended the University of Michigan as an undergraduate and pursued a degree in biology with an emphasis on botany, after which she moved to the west side of the state to pursue her master’s and doctorate degrees, both of which she received from Western Michigan University.

Other than having teaching credentials in both Michigan and California, she has also taught at high schools and is part of GVSU’s environmental studies minor faculty.

Vail facilitates numerous environmental education workshops, as she also acts as the Michigan coordinator for Project WET (Water Education for Teachers) and is a trainer for both Project Learning Tree and the Earth Partnership for Schools.

Vail’s work with AWRI allows her to work closely with students from kindergarten through 12th grade and conduct activities that are related to GVSU research and its educational vessels, the W.G. Jackson and the D.J. Angus.

“What we are trying to do is help students connect with the environment and Lake Michigan’s connecting waters,” Vail said. “We take students on either the D.J. Angus or the W.G. Jackson vessel and bring students into an environment that is about water quality regarding the Muskegon Lake as this could be the first time for students to experience being on a boat and not just observing from the beach.”

Teaching environmental studies, no matter if it is within a classroom or within an informal setting, she said, allows her to not only teach her passion, but allows her to teach science and aspects of sustainability to an audience that can help students understand the working relationship between themselves and their environment.

“Grand Valley has given me an important opportunity so that I can do something that I love and teach,” Vail said. “I do teach in an informal setting, whether it is from children or adults. It is kind of fun to not only be acknowledged for this award, but to see the enthusiasm within those students who want to tell stories and are willing to learn about their world.”

For more information about AWRI and their educational workshops, events and cruises, visit www.gvsu.edu/wri/education.