News Briefs: Nominations for Annual Sustainability Champion Awards now open

Drew Howard

Nominations for Annual Sustainability Champion Awards now open

Nominations for the eighth annual Sustainability Champion Awards are now being accepted by the Office of Sustainability Practices at Grand Valley State University.

Students, faculty, staff members and community members are chosen for a Sustainability Champion Award based on their contributions to sustainable living.

The Office of Sustainability Practices will be accepting nominations until March 18. Recipients of awards will later be celebrated at an awards luncheon in the Kirkhof Center on April 1.

For more information about the Sustainability Champion Awards, go to www.gvsu.edu/sustainability.

International Business Career Expo

Students of all majors are invited to learn more about career opportunities in international business during the international business career expo on Feb. 29.

Individuals who possess strong cultural competence and business skills are encouraged to network with a variety of employers offering both internships and regular positions. Students are asked to wear professional attire and bring a copy of their resume or business card.

The international business career expo is set to take place from 6 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. in the Loosemore Forum of the L. William Seidman Center.

To RSVP for this event, go to www.gvsu.edu/internationalbusiness.

Starting a business workshop

The Small Business Development Center of West Michigan (SBDC) will host a free workshop geared toward aspiring entrepreneurs and future business owners on March 2.

At “Starting a Business/Writing a Business Plan,” workshop moderators will discuss important concepts such as start-up costs, financing options, business planning and more. Attendees will also have the opportunity to learn more about themselves and their individual leadership abilities.

The workshop will take place from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. at MAREC, located at 200 Viridian Dr. Muskegon, MI, 49440.

For more information about the workshop, contact the SBDC West Michigan at (616) 331-7370 or [email protected].

Spaghetti dinner will raise money for local camp

The ladies of Alpha Omicron Pi will raise money for a local camp through a spaghetti dinner open to the entire campus community on March 1.

Located in Grand Rapids, the Indian Trails Camp gives individuals with disabilities the opportunity to participate in recreational activities and build long-lasting relationships.

Tickets for the AOII spaghetti dinner cost $4 if bought from a sister and $5 at the door, with all proceeds going toward the Indian Trails Camp. Ticket-buyers will be treated to an endless buffet of salad, bread and spaghetti.

The spaghetti dinner is from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m. at the AOII House, located at 5050 Pierce St., Building F.

‘Forks Over Knives’ documentary screening

The negative impacts of animal-based and processed foods will be the point of discussion during a screening of the documentary, “Forks Over Knives,” on March 2.

The screening will be hosted by the Grand Valley State University organization Cage Free, a group devoted to educating the campus community on the benefits of plant-based diets.

In “Forks Over Knives,” viewers will learn about the connection between degenerative diseases and the common diet of processed foods.

The screening is LIB 100/201 and scheduled to take place from 7 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. in Room 107 in Manitou Hall. Attendees are invited to stay after the screening for a short discussion panel about the documentary.