Using your student discount **PRINT ONLY**

Jenna Fracassi

Headline: Bargain shopping with your student discount

Subhead: Make your school-issued ID work for you with streaming services, retailers

Though being a student often means money is tight, there are ways to use your student status to your benefit. For example, there are tons of companies that offer free or discounted services to students with the presentation of a student ID or email. Below, you will find a list of some of the best deals. 

• Amazon.com offers a membership program called “Amazon Prime Student” specifically created for college students. Students who join will get a free six-month trial period before having to pay the half-discounted price of $5.49 per month for Prime services. Some of the perks of signing up include free two-day shipping, access to tons of free movies and television shows, and other exclusive savings opportunities.
  • Spotify has a “Spotify Premium” bundle available for students for only $4.99 a month. Even better, Hulu now comes attached to that deal. That’s right: two apps for less than $5 a month. By taking advantage of this deal, you’ll be able to listen to music with no ads, stream offline without burning through data, and stream tons of shows and movies both at home and on the go.
  • Apple Music also offers a discounted membership price for students. With this service, rather than paying per song to stack up your music library, you pay per month with the ability to add unlimited music to your playlist. With the Apple Music student membership, you get your first three months free. After that it’s only $4.99 per month—half of what the regular rate is—and it’ll pay off the next time you’re passed the aux cord.
  • Many retail stores offer students reduced rates, too. Some stores that participate in giving student discounts include Alex & Ani, Banana Republic, Levi’s, TopShop, J. Crew, Ann Taylor and more. If you are unsure whether or not your favorite retailer offers a student discount, don’t hesitate to ask; you may save some money in the process. Another good tip would be to check out UNiDAYS, a site that offers students exclusive discounted deals daily.
  • Another benefit of being a student is the movie ticket discount, and who doesn’t love a good movie? The actual discount varies by theater; for more specific pricing information, call in advance. These tickets typically aren’t available for purchase online, as you have to present your student ID to get the lowered rate. It may only save you a few dollars, but you’ll be able to splurge on a bigger popcorn.