Social media accounts at GVSU engage students

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
Megan Miller

GVL/Kevin Sielaff Megan Miller

More than 158,000 people follow Grand Valley State University across all its social media platforms, with Facebook and LinkedIn reaching the most people.

Leah Twilley, GVSU communications specialist, is the head of the university’s social media efforts. She has help from a couple students as well as a team of writers, photographers and videographers who all provide content for the various platforms.

Twilley said University Communications posts stories, pictures, announcements and news that are relevant for students, faculty, staff and alumni.

“We tell the Grand Valley story in an engaging way that resonates with all audiences and represents the best of GV,” she said. “We do that by building community and content that is personalized and participatory.”

Besides the engagement aspect, Twilley said there is also a relationship-building component.

“We answer questions, help solve problems, congratulate new Lakers on their acceptance and just generally be a cheerleader for all Lakers,” she said. “Research tells us that nearly two-thirds of social media conversations influence a student’s decision on where to enroll. We understand that students want to talk with us and are talking about us, so it’s important that we’re a part of those conversations.”

There are a variety of ways for students, whether on campus or across the globe, to get involved with GVSU on social media. Twilley said they can share photos and videos using #gvsu and #LakerforaLifetime.

A new initiative this fall is #TrueBlue Fridays, when students can show off their school colors by wearing blue, black and white. Twilley added that they recently created the gvsu official Snapchat account, which has gained popularity since its inception last spring.

“We love to see Laker pride shared by the Grand Valley family,” Twilley said. “Increasing our outreach is important to us, but beyond numbers, it’s really about creating quality connections and conversations that build Laker pride, trust and loyalty.”

University Communications is currently working on a “series that explores the not-so-known parts of the university that will provide exclusive, behind-the-scenes content,” Twilley added.

The university has official social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Google+, YouTube, Pinterest and LinkedIn. Various GVSU majors, departments and offices also have social media platforms.

For a list of all GVSU accounts, visit www.gvsu.edu/socialmedia.