Kaufman, Inclusion and Equity work together to represent interfaith on campus

GVL / Sara Carte - The Kaufman Interfaith Institute Program Manager, Katie Gordon, speaks with students and staff at the Religius & Spiritual Identity Listening Sessions in the DeVos Campus on Wednesday, Mar. 23, 2016.

Sara Carte

GVL / Sara Carte – The Kaufman Interfaith Institute Program Manager, Katie Gordon, speaks with students and staff at the Religius & Spiritual Identity Listening Sessions in the DeVos Campus on Wednesday, Mar. 23, 2016.

Sanda Vazgec

The results of Grand Valley State University’s recent Campus Climate Survey have been reviewed and the university is now utilizing that information to make some changes to better serve the campus community.

The Division of Inclusion and Equity and The Kaufman Interfaith Institute are two campus organizations taking initiative to get the ball rolling on creating solutions for students of different faiths across campus. The organizations held drop-in dialogue and listening sessions on March 21 and 23 to listen to the ideas and suggestions students, faculty and staff had regarding religious, spiritual and secular identity.

Participants were able to fill out a survey on how they feel about religious identity on campus and explain why they feel the way that they do. They could also engage in conversation with other participants and the organization leaders to disclose their thoughts and feelings.

The Kaufman Interfaith Institute is a community-oriented organization based at GVSU that aims to promote positive interaction within the religiously diverse population on campus. Katie Gordon, program manager for the institute, said the goal of the event was to get a better understanding of what’s behind the numbers from the Campus Climate Survey.

“We wanted to hear what the needs and experiences are from students,” Gordon said. “Now we can do more intentional outreach work, we can meet with other student organizations making sure we’re getting representation of the religious diversity on campus.”

The event provided an opportunity for the university to understand both positive and negative experiences that members of the campus community have encountered.

“The climate survey gave us the numbers, but events like this gives us qualitative information about particular identity groups,” said Andrew Plague, an intern for the Division of Inclusion and Equity. “It’s the stories behind the numbers we want to hear. This can allow us to analyze and improve the campus environment for underrepresented groups.”

The organizations hope to hold more campus-wide dialogues in group settings where students can share their stories. The objective is to encourage discussion so that the university can ensure a comfortable environment for all students by implementing growth and changes.

With many international events bringing up the discussion of religion, students are encouraged to have open conversation.

For more information on these organizations and campus climate, visit www.gvsu.edu/inclusion.