Arts Briefs

Maddie Forshee

ArtPrize Seven

After the kickoff of ArtPrize on Wednesday, the grounds of the L. V. Eberhard Center will showcase an ArtPrize entry by GVSU students and alumni. “Framing the Experience” is an exhibit of jewelry and other metalwork, ranging from wearable pieces to small sculptures. The work is done by a host of people ranging from beginning students to recent graduates. For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/artgallery.

Say Her Name Campaign

On Sept. 24 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., students are invited to join Cafe con Leche: A conversation about the #SayHerName campaign. The student-organized discussion will talk about the Say Her Name campaign that was sparked in the wake of the death of Sandra Bland. The discussion will also focus on calling attention to violence against black women and trans women of color. The conversation will take place in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2201. For more information, email Shavondalynn Lockley at [email protected].

Korean Connection Meet & Greet

Korean Connection and Padnos International Center have teamed up to put on a meet and greet for students this Friday. Korean Connection is a nonprofit organization that was formed by people in the U.S. with connections to South Korea in any way, whether it’s through family, culture or history. The organization works to increase these ties between Koreans and Americans. Korean Connection invites anyone to come to the Seidman Building on GVSU’s Pew Campus on Sept. 25 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. to enjoy games, food and prizes.

Saturday Night Dive

Join Spotlight Productions every Saturday this fall semester for an open mic-style comedy night. From 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., any student can come and enjoy experienced and non-experienced comedians. Each person who takes the stage will be given 10 minutes to impress the audience. If students are interested in getting involved in Saturday Night Dive, email Abby Lyons at [email protected].

New Music Ensemble

GVSU’s New Music Ensemble will be performing live music by Zoe Keating, Jad Abumrad and Mason Bates as well as ensemble director Bill Ryan. The group will be performing for Wellspring/Cori Terry and Dancers. The event will take place Sept. 26 at 8 p.m. at the home of the Grand Rapids Ballet Company,the Peter Martin Wege Theatre in Grand Rapids. Visit www.artful.ly for more details.

Dreaming in another land

GVSU’s area studies is welcoming Rati Saxena, an Indian poet and director of the International Poetry Festival to share her work, her field of language and her cultural traditions. Saxena will also talk about the sacred books of Veda culture and their importance to world religions. Saxena’s poetry reading will take place in the Cook-DeWitt auditorium at 7 p.m. Sept. 29. Saxena will also be giving a lecture titled “The Seed of Mind, the Cedic Poetry” the next night at 7 p.m. in the Loosemore auditorium on GVSU’s Pew Campus. For more information, contact area studies at [email protected].