News briefs 10/23/17

President of Palau to visit GVSU

Grand Valley State University alumnus and current president of the Pacific island nation Palau, Tommy Remengesau, will visit GVSU Wednesday, Nov. 1, to lead a presentation on current geopolitical issues.

Remengesau, a member of GVSU’s graduating class of 1979, will lead a discussion titled “From GVSU Student to World Leader.” Gleaves Whitney, director of the Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies at GVSU, will moderate the discussion.

The discussion will take place from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2204.

GVSU to host panel on violence against women

Grand Valley State University will hold a panel on violence against women Monday, Oct. 23, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Loosemore Auditorium, located in the DeVos Center on the Pew Campus.

The panel will feature several GVSU faculty members. Mexican artist Elina Chauvet, creator of Zapatos Rojos (Red Shoes), an art installation designed to shed light on violence against women, will also make an appearance. A Spanish-speaking version of the panel will take place Tuesday, Oct. 24, at the Catholic Information Center in Grand Rapids, located on 360 Division Ave.

Student Summer Scholars information session

Grand Valley State University will host an information session for its Student Summer Scholars program Tuesday, Oct. 24, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the DeVos Center, Room 302E, on the Pew Campus.

The Student Summer Scholars program awards grants to students to work with a faculty mentor for research and creative programs over the summer.

The event will also take place in Allendale Wednesday, Oct. 25, from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 1104.

John Ball Zoo to host Halloween-themed weekend

The John Ball Zoo, located in Grand Rapids, will be hosting “Zoo Goes Boo!” a weekend-long event to celebrate Halloween. The event will be held from Friday, Oct. 27, to Sunday, Oct. 29, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day. Admission is $3 for members and $8 for non-members.

Center for Women and Gender Equity to host annual Homecoming celebration

The Grand Valley State University Gayle R. Davis Center for Women and Gender Equity will host its annual Homecoming celebration Friday, Oct. 27, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at The B.O.B in Grand Rapids. Tickets are $15 before Friday and will rise to $20 the day of the celebration. A ticket includes appetizers and two drink tickets.

GVSU alumna to present on resettlement

Grand Valley State University alumna Holly Chadwick will lead a discussion titled “Why Resettlement: The History, Need and Process of Global Refugee Relocation” Thursday, Oct. 26, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2263. The lecture will discuss the impact of recent refugee crises around the world.