Quick hits: Suseland named GLIAC North Division Player of the Week

Lanthorn Staff

Suseland named GLIAC North Division Player of the Week

Grand Valley State women’s volleyball player Jayci Suseland earned GLIAC North Division Player of the Week after her performance against Tiffin and Ashland over the weekend.

Suseland, a freshman, accumulated 39 kills and 12 blocks in the Lakers’ two wins. In the game against Tiffin, Suseland recorded 20 kills on 27 attempts, committing only three errors. The 20 kills was a new career high for her.

In the game against Ashland, Suseland recorded a game-high 19 kills and added seven rejections in the match. In a back-and-forth fourth set, Suseland had seven kills to help secure the match.

With her past weekend performance, Suseland is climbing the GLIAC ranks in offensive categories in conference matches. She is third in kills (3.97) and points (4.50) per set, and fourth in total kills with 127.

GV volleyball seeded fifth in Midwest Region Crossover Tournament

The Grand Valley State women’s volleyball team earned the fifth seed in the Midwest Region Crossover Tournament starting Saturday, Oct. 15. The tournament, held at the Great Lakes Center in Aurora, Illinois, is one of the largest tournaments in the country across all NCAA divisions.

The Lakers will face off against three teams from the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) on the first two days of the tournament. GVSU will play the sixth-seeded Drury, second-seeded McKendree and ninth-seeded Indianapolis.

GVSU has had success in the tournament in the past. The team has gone a perfect 4-0 in four years (2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013) and boasts a 17-7 record in the past eight years in the tournament.

GVSU’s first game is against Drury at 3:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 14.

GV women’s basketball adds two recruits to 2016-17 roster

The Grand Valley State women’s basketball team added two recruits to the team for the 2016-17 season. Rio Dungeon and Megan Belke have been added to the roster and increase the recruiting class to seven players.

Both players are versatile options in the lineup as they both can play either guard or forward. Dungeon sports a height of 5’11” and Belke a height of 5’10”.

Dungeon joins the Lakers after spending her freshman year on the Oakland University basketball team. Dungeon was originally a recruit for the Lakers out of high school, but after one season at Oakland in which she saw action in 15 games, she is joining the Lakers.

Belke enters the Lakers’ program as a true freshman out of Grand Rapids. She averaged 23 points and 12 assists per game in her senior season at East Grand Rapids High School.